* .mailrc and Gnus
@ 1996-07-10 18:27 Sten Drescher
From: Sten Drescher @ 1996-07-10 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

	Is there any way to use the .mailrc _without_ using Abbrevs?
I don't like having them expanded live, but message-mode seems to have
removed the emacs functionality of doing it after sending.  The last
FAQ I saw on the list says nothing about it.

--
+----------------------  Tivoli Customer Support  ----------------------+
|   Sten Drescher                     Tivoli Systems, Inc               |

* Re: .mailrc and Gnus
@ 1996-07-14 13:53 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-07-14 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sten Drescher <sten.drescher@tivoli.com> writes:

> 	Is there any way to use the .mailrc _without_ using Abbrevs?

I don't think so.

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Ingebrigtsen

* Re: .mailrc and Gnus
@ 1996-07-15 10:28   ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 1996-07-15 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

SD> Is there any way to use the .mailrc _without_ using Abbrevs?

LMI> I don't think so.

That is quite frustrating, since it means that I can't send mail to a
friend from Gnus.  The poor soul is stuck with an X.400 address which
is three lines long.  Emacs simply refuses to send mail to that
address directly, but I managed to send mail by defining an alias with
`define-mail-alias' and send mail to that.  This doesn't work anymore
with message.el, since it expands the alias first.

* Re: .mailrc and Gnus
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-07-15 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Per Abrahamsen <abraham@dina.kvl.dk> writes:

> That is quite frustrating, since it means that I can't send mail to a
> friend from Gnus.  The poor soul is stuck with an X.400 address which
> is three lines long.  Emacs simply refuses to send mail to that
> address directly, but I managed to send mail by defining an alias with
> `define-mail-alias' and send mail to that.

Then this should be fixed.  Why does Emacs refuse to send a mail with
a long To header?  Message just does a `call-process-region' that
feeds the outgoing mail to sendmail.  Does sendmail choke on long To
headers?

* Re: .mailrc and Gnus
@ 1996-07-15 20:55       ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 1996-07-15 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: benny

LMI> Then this should be fixed.  Why does Emacs refuse to send a mail with
LMI> a long To header?

Well, I was too fast.  The real problems were:

1) The .mailrc syntax doesn't work with addresses that contains both
   spaces and quotes.

2) The lisp substitute, `define-mail-alias' was renamed
   `define-mail-abbrev'..

There is one problem though... Whenever I insert the alias it gets
filled automatically, so I have to manually delete the linefeeds
afterwards.