* 5.8.2 strange duplicate groups
@ 1999-12-07 19:12 Mike Fletcher
From: Mike Fletcher @ 1999-12-07 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

        I'm getting strange duplicate entries in my group buffer.
Here's what it looks like (p5p being the group in question):

[ Gnus -- 3345 ]
      *: p5p                    */910  3
  [ Mail -- 3345 ]
      3: inbox                  3/520  3
    [ Misc Lists -- 1320 ]
[...]
      [ Perl Lists -- 1272 ]
    910: p5p                    910/910  3
*     0: perl-xs                        0/288  3

        If I `C-k' the first one, both it and the line under the `Perl
Lists' topic dissapear.  I can then `C-y' yank it back in the right
place, but the next time I restart gnus or do a `g' to get new mail
the one at the top of the buffer reappears.

        This was installed from the 5.8.2 tarball.  I've got nnml as
my primary backend.  If any other variable settings might shed light
on things let me know.  Any ideas?  Anyone?  Anyone?

        Thanks in advance.

--
Mike Fletcher             Internet Security Systems, Inc.
mfletcher@iss.net         (678) 443-6239 / fax (770) 395-1972

* Re: 5.8.2 strange duplicate groups
@ 1999-12-07 19:19 ` Shenghuo ZHU
From: Shenghuo ZHU @ 1999-12-07 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Fletch>         I'm getting strange duplicate entries in my group buffer.
Fletch> Here's what it looks like (p5p being the group in question):

Fletch> [ Gnus -- 3345 ]
Fletch>       *: p5p                    */910  3
Fletch>   [ Mail -- 3345 ]
Fletch>       3: inbox                  3/520  3
Fletch>     [ Misc Lists -- 1320 ]
Fletch> [...]
Fletch>       [ Perl Lists -- 1272 ]
Fletch>     910: p5p                    910/910  3
Fletch> *     0: perl-xs                        0/288  3

Fletch>         If I `C-k' the first one, both it and the line under
Fletch> the `Perl Lists' topic dissapear.  I can then `C-y' yank it
Fletch> back in the right place, but the next time I restart gnus or
Fletch> do a `g' to get new mail the one at the top of the buffer
Fletch> reappears.

Fletch>         This was installed from the 5.8.2 tarball.  I've got
Fletch> nnml as my primary backend.  If any other variable settings
Fletch> might shed light on things let me know.  Any ideas?  Anyone?
Fletch> Anyone?

Use 'G e' to find out the parameters and others.

Try to use `T D' to remove the first line.

--
Shenghuo ZHU

* Re: 5.8.2 strange duplicate groups
@ 1999-12-07 19:33   ` Mike Fletcher
From: Mike Fletcher @ 1999-12-07 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Fletch> I'm getting strange duplicate entries in my group buffer.
    Fletch> Here's what it looks like (p5p being the group in
    Fletch> question):

    Fletch> [ Gnus -- 3345 ]
    Fletch>       *: p5p                    */910  3
    Fletch>   [ Mail -- 3345 ]
    Fletch>       3: inbox                  3/520  3
    Fletch>     [ Misc Lists -- 1320 ]
    Fletch> [...]
    Fletch>       [ Perl Lists -- 1272 ]
    Fletch>     910: p5p                    910/910  3
    Fletch> *     0: perl-xs                        0/288  3

[...]

    ZSH> Use 'G e' to find out the parameters and others.

        For the duplicate and the real group `G e' shows:

;;; Editing the select method for `p5p'.
;; Type `C-c C-c' after you've finished editing.

"native"

    ZSH> Try to use `T D' to remove the first line.

        If I do `T D' on just the duplicate line it (the duplicate)
only disappears, but it just pops right back up the next time I `g' to
get new mail.

        A wierd behavior I just noticed: if I `C-k' the bogus p5p
group and then hit `g' without subsequently yanking it back, I get a
duplicate of the `perl-xs' group that's next underneath where p5p used
to be.

        Curiouser and curiouser . . .