Lars came up with the right answer. I had just upgraded to Emacs 20.3 (my first emacs upgrade) and just copied all the .el and .elc files from 20.2's site-lisp dir to 20.3's. All I had to do was delete the .elc files & byte-compile with 20.3. Problem solved! Cheers - bw -- Bill White billw@wolfram.com http://www.wolfram.com/~billw François Pinard writes: > Bill White writes: > > > Attempt to set a constant symbol: :-pos > > > Is there something more I could report to help debug things? > > Grrr! I'm sure I've seen this problem before, a while ago in fact, and > I remember that the mere solution was to rename a few variables all over > some Emacs LISP source. The sad thing is that I do not remember which, > nor why. It was something like changing `...:-pos' to `...:-position', > maybe. I likely reported the problem, whatever it was. The trick Lars > gave you, that is "(setq debug-on-error t)", should help you identifying > where the problem occurred, at least. > > -- > François Pinard mailto:pinard@iro.umontreal.ca > Join the free Translation Project! http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~pinard