From: Bill White <billw@wolfram.com>
Cc: ding@gnus.org, Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com>
Subject: Re: making bogofilter write spam headers?
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 12:24:31 -0600	[thread overview]

On Thu Nov 13 2003 at 12:07, Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> said:

> On Thu, 13 Nov 2003, billw@wolfram.com wrote:
>
>> I'd love to do this, but I don't have spam headers in my email (I'm
>> using bogofilter from inside gnus during mail splitting).  Is there
>> a way to get bogofilter to add its header during
>> nnmail-split-fancy?
>
> I don't know of an *easy* way to modify incoming articles - maybe I
> can just modify the spool buffer, but it seems like a bad idea
> because of the many possible complications.

OK. (i.e., I'm clueless and I trust you :-)

I know messages can be modified with procmail, but I'd like to stay
away from procmail since I don't have the motivation to learn it, do
useful things with it and maintain a procmailrc.

> How about using the gnus-registry?  It can associate arbitrary data
> with a message ID, and retrieval is very fast.  I could define the
> extra data 'spam-score and keep track of it.  When the spam-score is
> not found (for instance, you clear the registry or the message gets
> removed from it), it can be regenerated.
>
> The only small issue is what kind of score I am saving.  I'll
> probably store cons cells like so: (bogofilter-score . 0.4) to
> accomodate the various kinds of scoring systems (I decided to ditch
> the universal spam score concept since no one but me was interested
> in it).
>
> What do you think?

Seems like that would track only the last gnus-registry-max-entries
messages.  Ah - but you say the registry entry and its spam score
could be regenerated.  That would take time, I suppose, but for use in
my one spam group I wouldn't mind waiting.

Sounds good for my setup, at least.  Thanks for doing the thinking!

Cheers -

bw
--
Bill White . billw@wolfram.com . http://members.wri.com/billw