* Re: time delay on news groups?
@ 1996-12-12 22:37 St. Suika Fenderson Roberts
From: St. Suika Fenderson Roberts @ 1996-12-12 22:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

On a similar note, is/could it be possible to score on article length?  This
would be mainly good for groups like alt.startrek.creative, where anything
under 90 lines is almost certainly not worth reading. . .

Thanks,
	Suika (Gnus is wonderful!  I spend far too much time with it!)
PS:  Someone was wanting a `save state to dribble buffer' function, so here's
the one I munged together.  It's tested, can't say much else for it ^_^
(well, I munged it out of Lars's code, so that gives it a boost)
-----------------
(defun gnus-summary-save-info ()
 (interactive)
  (save-excursion
    (let ((group gnus-newsgroup-name))
      (when gnus-newsgroup-kill-headers
        (setq gnus-newsgroup-killed
              (gnus-compress-sequence
               (nconc
                (gnus-set-sorted-intersection
                 (gnus-uncompress-range gnus-newsgroup-killed)
                 (setq gnus-newsgroup-unselected
                       (sort gnus-newsgroup-unselected '<)))
                (setq gnus-newsgroup-unreads
                      (sort gnus-newsgroup-unreads '<)))
               t)))
      (unless (listp (cdr gnus-newsgroup-killed))
        (setq gnus-newsgroup-killed (list gnus-newsgroup-killed)))
      (let ((headers gnus-newsgroup-headers))
        (unless gnus-save-score
          (setq gnus-newsgroup-scored nil))
        ;; Set the new ranges of read articles.
        (gnus-update-read-articles
         group (append gnus-newsgroup-unreads gnus-newsgroup-unselected))
        ;; Set the current article marks.
        (gnus-update-marks)
        ;; Don't do the cross-ref thing.
;        (when gnus-use-cross-reference
;          (gnus-mark-xrefs-as-read group headers gnus-newsgroup-unreads))
        ;; Do not switch windows but change the buffer to work.
        (set-buffer gnus-group-buffer)
        (unless (gnus-ephemeral-group-p gnus-newsgroup-name)
          (gnus-group-update-group group))))))
--
		wrobert2@mailhost.tcs.tulane.edu
"The dew fell with a particularly sickening thud this morning."

* summary buffer state dribbling (was Re: time delay on news groups?)
@ 1996-12-12 23:07 ` David Moore
From: David Moore @ 1996-12-12 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

"St. Suika Fenderson Roberts" <wrobert2@mailhost.tcs.tulane.edu> writes:

> PS:  Someone was wanting a `save state to dribble buffer' function, so here's
> the one I munged together.  It's tested, can't say much else for it ^_^
> (well, I munged it out of Lars's code, so that gives it a boost)

	This won't do the right thing if you were reading a virtual
group.  Or rather, if you use this, and then you crash, and it won't
have remembered what you did, much like all groups do now.
This is because it's not updating the component groups, and on restart
Gnus will reconstruct the virtual groups from the components.

	At the end of the function, you could stick in something to
check if the current group's method if it's a virtual group, and if so
call (nnvirtual-update-read-and-marked t t).  However, I consider that
function internal to nnvirtual, so it could disappear someday. :)

--
David Moore <dmoore@ucsd.edu>       | Computer Systems Lab      __o
UCSD Dept. Computer Science - 0114  | Work: (619) 534-8604    _ \<,_