* Catchup command request
@ 1997-01-25  7:26 Steven L Baur
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Steven L Baur @ 1997-01-25  7:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

May I respectfully request that the c) atchup command in the *Summary*
buffer use yes-or-no-p instead of y-or-n-p?

Yes, I just destroyed another nnml group by typing `cd ' in XEmacs
when I thought an xterm had keyboard focus :-(.
--
steve@miranova.com baur
Unsolicited commercial e-mail will be billed at $250/message.

* Re: Catchup command request
@ 1997-01-25  8:04 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-01-25  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steven L Baur <steve@miranova.com> writes:

> May I respectfully request that the c) atchup command in the *Summary*
> buffer use yes-or-no-p instead of y-or-n-p?
>
> Yes, I just destroyed another nnml group by typing `cd ' in XEmacs
> when I thought an xterm had keyboard focus :-(.

Can't you just press `M-C-_' in the group buffer to undo the change?
(That is, if undoing has started working now.  It hasn't been tested
much, and I suspect that's because not many people are aware of the
command...

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Ingebrigtsen

* Re: Catchup command request
@ 1997-01-25 16:36 ` William M. Perry
From: William M. Perry @ 1997-01-25 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Steven L. Baur writes:
>May I respectfully request that the c) atchup command in the *Summary*
>buffer use yes-or-no-p instead of y-or-n-p?
>
>Yes, I just destroyed another nnml group by typing `cd ' in XEmacs
>when I thought an xterm had keyboard focus :-(.

  This should be customizable.  W3 has a variable for controlling what
yes-or-no type function should be used for prompts.  By defaults it is
yes-or-no-p, but can be changed to anything with the same calling
semantics.

-bp

* Re: Catchup command request
@ 1997-01-26 19:50   ` Steven L Baur
From: Steven L Baur @ 1997-01-26 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen writes:

> Steven L Baur <steve@miranova.com> writes:
>> May I respectfully request that the c) atchup command in the *Summary*
>> buffer use yes-or-no-p instead of y-or-n-p?
>>
>> Yes, I just destroyed another nnml group by typing `cd ' in XEmacs
>> when I thought an xterm had keyboard focus :-(.

> Can't you just press `M-C-_' in the group buffer to undo the change?

Um, I didn't know about that command.  Thanks.  It undoes more than
just the last catchup, but it's better than the alternative.

I still think it should be made harder to hit catchup since y-or-n-p
is so stupid (SPC as a synonym for `y' is unfortunate).

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-01-27  6:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steven L Baur <steve@miranova.com> writes:

> Um, I didn't know about that command.  Thanks.  It undoes more than
> just the last catchup, but it's better than the alternative.

Uhm...  Oh, the undo boundary is set in `post-command-hook' in the
group buffer, but when you just read a bunch of groups without doing
anything in the group buffer, the boundary will never be set.  Fix in
Gnus v5.4.4.

@ 1997-01-27 19:46 ` Karl Anderson
From: Karl Anderson @ 1997-01-27 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

steve@miranova.com (Steven L. Baur) wrote:

>May I respectfully request that the c) atchup command in the *Summary*
>buffer use yes-or-no-p instead of y-or-n-p?

You could overload y-or-n-p with yes-or-no-p in your .emacs if you
don't mind using the latter all the time.

karla@celtech.com      Karl Anderson      <URL:http://www.reed.edu/~karl>

* Re: Catchup command request
@ 1997-01-27 20:57   ` Steven L Baur
From: Steven L Baur @ 1997-01-27 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Karl Anderson writes:

> steve@miranova.com (Steven L. Baur) wrote:
>> May I respectfully request that the c) atchup command in the *Summary*
>> buffer use yes-or-no-p instead of y-or-n-p?

> You could overload y-or-n-p with yes-or-no-p in your .emacs if you
> don't mind using the latter all the time.

I do mind, it's not the right solution.
--

@ 1997-01-27 21:50     ` David Moore
From: David Moore @ 1997-01-27 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steven L Baur <steve@miranova.com> writes:

> I do mind, it's not the right solution.

	What I wouldn't give for emacs to notice that I'm typing shell
commands obviously meant for another window into my Gnus sessions.

	Can we get this put on the millenium gnus todo list? ;-)

--
David Moore <dmoore@ucsd.edu>       | Computer Systems Lab      __o
UCSD Dept. Computer Science - 0114  | Work: (619) 534-8604    _ \<,_