From: Ted Rathkopf <ted@rathkopf.org>
Cc: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: Unwanted catchup when entering a newsgroup
Date: 09 Oct 1999 10:22:58 -0400	[thread overview]

Florian Weimer <fw@deneb.cygnus.argh.org> writes:

> >From time to time, Gnus marks as read all articles of a newsgroup
> when I try to enter this group (and doesn't show the summary buffer).
> After that, the unread article count is zero.  This happens only very
> sporadically, and I haven't been able to track it down yet.  Any ideas?
> I haven't observed this with v0.96 or mail groups, BTW.

It doesn't happen in mail groups, so I assume it only happens to you
in news groups?

Is it possible that the messages in the group have been canceled
by their originators, so when you enter the group there is nothing
there to read?  This would cause the symptoms you describe, but would
not be the result of gnus marking the articles as read.

--
Ted Rathkopf