* WIBNI there was a URL-syntax way of referring to the manual?
@ 2001-08-18  3:44 Karl Kleinpaste
From: Karl Kleinpaste @ 2001-08-18  3:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Often in gnu.emacs.gnus, we answer questions for people by including a
reference or road map to the *Info* pages.  Wouldn't it be neat if we
borrowed the URL syntax so as to be able to give Gnusers direct access
to the manual?

That is, what if "info://Gnus/Select_Methods" pulled up the Gnus
*Info* pages and picked off section "Select Methods"?  And
"info://Message/Mail_Variables" did the similar obvious thing?

The only transformation needed would be `_' -> SPC, or else the "%20"
syntax hack.  The latter would be seriously ugly, IMO.  Can this be
done case-insensitively?

This would be a highly Gnus-centric view of life, but heck, it would
be such a nice thing to be able to do when discussing Gnus among
fellow Gnusers.

* Re: WIBNI there was a URL-syntax way of referring to the manual?
@ 2001-08-18  6:05 ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2001-08-18  6:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Karl Kleinpaste <karl@charcoal.com> writes:

> Often in gnu.emacs.gnus, we answer questions for people by including a
> reference or road map to the *Info* pages.  Wouldn't it be neat if we
> borrowed the URL syntax so as to be able to give Gnusers direct access
> to the manual?
>
> That is, what if "info://Gnus/Select_Methods" pulled up the Gnus
> *Info* pages and picked off section "Select Methods"?  And
> "info://Message/Mail_Variables" did the similar obvious thing?
>
> The only transformation needed would be `_' -> SPC, or else the "%20"
> syntax hack.  The latter would be seriously ugly, IMO.  Can this be
> done case-insensitively?
>
> This would be a highly Gnus-centric view of life, but heck, it would
> be such a nice thing to be able to do when discussing Gnus among
> fellow Gnusers.

Sounds cool. The hack is `+' -> SPC or "%20". Try
    info://Gnus/Select%20Methods
    info://Message/Mail+Variables

ShengHuo

* Re: WIBNI there was a URL-syntax way of referring to the manual?
@ 2001-08-18  7:35   ` Christoph Conrad
From: Christoph Conrad @ 2001-08-18  7:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

    > Sounds cool. The hack is `+' -> SPC or "%20". Try

Great!

* Re: WIBNI there was a URL-syntax way of referring to the manual?
@ 2001-08-18  8:32   ` Janne Rinta-Manty
From: Janne Rinta-Manty @ 2001-08-18  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

ShengHuo ZHU 2001-08-18T06:05:00Z:
ZSH> Karl Kleinpaste <karl@charcoal.com> writes:
>> That is, what if "info://Gnus/Select_Methods" pulled up the Gnus
>> *Info* pages and picked off section "Select Methods"?  And
>> "info://Message/Mail_Variables" did the similar obvious thing?

ZSH> Sounds cool. The hack is `+' -> SPC or "%20". Try
ZSH> info://Gnus/Select%20Methods
ZSH> info://Message/Mail+Variables

Cool!  But IMHO it would be better if it were info:/Foo/Bar, not with
the double slash, conforming to the Generic URI syntax in RFC 2396.

(And why not go all the way and register the info scheme
(RFC 2717)...)

--
Janne Rinta-Mänty

* Re: WIBNI there was a URL-syntax way of referring to the manual?
@ 2001-08-18 10:06 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2001-08-18 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Karl Kleinpaste <karl@charcoal.com> writes:

> That is, what if "info://Gnus/Select_Methods" pulled up the Gnus
> *Info* pages and picked off section "Select Methods"?  And
> "info://Message/Mail_Variables" did the similar obvious thing?

That's a nice idea.  find-file-at-point and (and perhaps url-browse)
should be altered to support it.  And what about Info itself?

* Re: WIBNI there was a URL-syntax way of referring to the manual?
@ 2001-08-18 11:41     ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2001-08-18 11:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Janne Rinta-Manty <rintaman@cs.Helsinki.FI> writes:

> >> That is, what if "info://Gnus/Select_Methods" pulled up the Gnus
>>> *Info* pages and picked off section "Select Methods"?  And
>>> "info://Message/Mail_Variables" did the similar obvious thing?
>
> ZSH> Sounds cool. The hack is `+' -> SPC or "%20". Try
> ZSH> info://Gnus/Select%20Methods
> ZSH> info://Message/Mail+Variables
>
> Cool!  But IMHO it would be better if it were info:/Foo/Bar, not with
> the double slash, conforming to the Generic URI syntax in RFC 2396.

KDE's konqueror support these kind of URLs for browsing info files.

info:/dir
info:/am-utils/Top
info:/am-utils/Supported Platforms

etc.

(It supports lots of extremely nifty URL schemes.  A google URL for
instance; just type `gg:ding' to Google for ding.  No imdb: URL
though, but it's configurable<tm> so it's trivial to add.)

* Re: WIBNI there was a URL-syntax way of referring to the manual?
@ 2001-08-18 18:03       ` William M. Perry
From: William M. Perry @ 2001-08-18 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> ZSH> Sounds cool. The hack is `+' -> SPC or "%20". Try
>> ZSH> info://Gnus/Select%20Methods
>> ZSH> info://Message/Mail+Variables
>>
>> Cool!  But IMHO it would be better if it were info:/Foo/Bar, not with
>> the double slash, conforming to the Generic URI syntax in RFC 2396.
>
> KDE's konqueror support these kind of URLs for browsing info files.
>
> info:/dir
> info:/am-utils/Top
> info:/am-utils/Supported Platforms

*sigh*  I wish people would look around before implementing stuff like
this.  Emacs/W3 supported info: URLs for ages and uses the #target notation
to specify a node.  Seems a bit more in keeping with what #foo is supposed
to mean in general URL syntax.

-bp
--
Ceterum censeo vi esse delendam

* Re: WIBNI there was a URL-syntax way of referring to the manual?
@ 2001-09-01 16:40   ` Dave Love
From: Dave Love @ 2001-09-01 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

 LMI> That's a nice idea.  find-file-at-point and (and perhaps url-browse)
 LMI> should be altered to support it.

Supporting wmperry's info URL syntax was a todo item for browse-url
which never got done.  ffap.el already supports Info, but not with the
wmperry syntax.

 LMI> And what about Info itself?

?? Info already has perfectly fine hyperlinks.