* dealing with news-gatewayed mail lists
@ 2006-04-06 19:23 Dave Love
From: Dave Love @ 2006-04-06 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

[Sorry if this eventually appears twice.  Posting through gmane seems
to be broken, rather ironically.]

I assume this sort of functionality exists, but I can't find it and I
find it increasingly difficult to follow the Gnus code to do it myself.

How do you do a wide reply to something on a news-gatewayed mail list,
like on gmane, so that it actually works as for a mail list?  I.e. the
followup should be mailed to all the recipients from the original
(without a message about being a copy of a post), but with the list
address replaced by the newsgroup.

(`gnus-mailing-list-groups' seems to provide almost the opposite of
this, and its doc isn't very clear.  Anyway it's not useful if you're
not subscribed to a subscriber-only list.)

* Re: dealing with news-gatewayed mail lists
@ 2006-04-06 20:46 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2006-04-06 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On Thu, Apr 06 2006, Dave Love wrote:

> [Sorry if this eventually appears twice.  Posting through gmane seems
> to be broken, rather ironically.]

It works for me.  I just posted via Gmane at 22:28 and it appeared
back from the list on news.gmane.org at 22:35
(<v9r74a78k2.fsf@marauder.physik.uni-ulm.de>).
AFAIK the Gnus list is moderated, so your postings might be delayed
because of this.

> How do you do a wide reply to something on a news-gatewayed mail list,
> like on gmane, so that it actually works as for a mail list?  I.e. the
> followup should be mailed to all the recipients from the original
> (without a message about being a copy of a post), but with the list
> address replaced by the newsgroup.

I think `S W' instead of `F' does it.  Or you can use `M-x
message-insert-wide-reply RET', with "Original-To" added to
`message-header-synonyms':

,----[ <f1> v message-header-synonyms RET ]
| message-header-synonyms is a variable defined in `message.el'.
| Its value is
| ((Original-To)
|  (To Cc Bcc))
|
| Documentation:
| List of lists of header synonyms.
| E.g., if this list contains a member list with elements `Cc' and `To',
| then `message-carefully-insert-headers' will not insert a `To' header
| when the message is already `Cc'ed to the recipient.
`----

On list where most users are subscribed, I use `F' and insert the
original poster using `C-u C-c f w' in `message-mode' when appropriate
I have `rs-message-wide-reply', see below, is bound to `C-c f w'.

Maybe I should a something similar to `message.el'.

`message-generate-unsubscribed-mail-followup-to' might also be useful.

;;;###autoload
(defun rs-message-replace-header (header new-value &optional after)
  "Remove HEADER and insert the NEW-VALUE.
If AFTER, insert after this header."
  ;; Similar to `nnheader-replace-header' but for message buffers.
  (save-excursion
    (save-restriction
      (message-narrow-to-headers)
      (message-remove-header header))
    (if after
	(message-position-on-field header after)
      (message-position-on-field header))
    (insert new-value)))

;;;###autoload
(defun rs-message-wide-reply (&optional wide)
  "Insert To, Cc and Mail-Followup-To for a wide reply.

The header Mail-Copies-To and Newsgroups are removed on request.

If WIDE, call `message-insert-wide-reply' to construct the To and
Cc headers from the original article.  Else the current messages
headers are used."
  (interactive "P")
  (when wide
    (message-insert-wide-reply))
  (save-excursion
    (let ((to     (message-fetch-field "To"))
	  (cc     (message-fetch-field "Cc"))
	  (ngs    (message-fetch-field "Newsgroups"))
	  (mct    (message-fetch-field "Mail-Copies-To")))
      (rs-message-replace-header "Mail-Followup-To"
				 (concat to (when (and to cc) ", ") cc))
      (save-restriction
	(message-narrow-to-headers)
	(when (and mct
		   (y-or-n-p (format "Remove \"Mail-Copies-To: %s\"? " mct)))
	  (message-remove-header "Mail-Copies-To"))
	(when (and ngs
		   (y-or-n-p (format "Remove \"Newsgroups: %s\"? " ngs)))
	  (message-remove-header "Newsgroups"))))))

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: dealing with news-gatewayed mail lists
@ 2006-04-11  6:10   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2006-04-11  6:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I think `S W' instead of `F' does it.  Or you can use `M-x
> message-insert-wide-reply RET', with "Original-To" added to
> `message-header-synonyms':
>
> ,----[ <f1> v message-header-synonyms RET ]
> | message-header-synonyms is a variable defined in `message.el'.
> | Its value is
> | ((Original-To)
> |  (To Cc Bcc))

Perhaps this should be the default value?  If the user taps `S W',
then presumably she would want the address list to be quite wide.

I've convinced myself, at least, but I've got a cold.