* w3-mode, gnus & emacs21.
@ 2001-08-19 13:56 Mattias Ahnberg
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Mattias Ahnberg @ 2001-08-19 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

I think I read something about someone playing with emacs21 and
w3-mode together with gnus. I've just started trying to use
emacs21 actively, and so far things work really nice. The only
thing that I can't get to work is w3-mode.

Someone had any tips/pointers on that one? I really miss the
functionality it adds to gnus.

Thank you in advance.

/ahnberg.

* Re: w3-mode, gnus & emacs21.
@ 2001-08-19 14:58 ` François Pinard
From: François Pinard @ 2001-08-19 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

[Mattias Ahnberg]

> I think I read something about someone playing with emacs21 and
> w3-mode together with gnus. I've just started trying to use
> emacs21 actively, and so far things work really nice. The only
> thing that I can't get to work is w3-mode.

> Someone had any tips/pointers on that one? I really miss the
> functionality it adds to gnus.

I started to use `w3m', which is an external C formatter, small, fast and
capable, and linked it to Gnus rather satisfactorily, for my needs at least.
Let me see...  Hmph!  Not very elegant, but here is what I got to add to my
".gnus" file so it works.  I wish Gnus offered some kind of hooks for this...

(setq fp-lynx-path (executable-find "lynx")
      fp-w3m-path (executable-find "w3m"))

(when (or fp-lynx-path fp-w3m-path)
  (eval-after-load "gnus-art"
    '(defun article-wash-html ()
       "Format an html article."
       (interactive)
       (save-excursion
	 (let ((buffer-read-only nil)
	       charset)
	   (if (gnus-buffer-live-p gnus-original-article-buffer)
	       (with-current-buffer gnus-original-article-buffer
		 (let* ((ct (gnus-fetch-field "content-type"))
			(ctl (and ct
				  (ignore-errors
				    (mail-header-parse-content-type ct)))))
		   (setq charset (and ctl
				      (mail-content-type-get ctl 'charset)))
		   (if (stringp charset)
		       (setq charset (intern (downcase charset)))))))
	   (unless charset
	     (setq charset gnus-newsgroup-charset))
	   (article-goto-body)
	   (save-window-excursion
	     (shell-command-on-region
	      (point) (point-max)
	      (cond (fp-w3m-path (concat fp-w3m-path " -T text/html"))
		    (fp-lynx-path (concat fp-lynx-path " -dump /dev/fd/0")))
	      t t)))))))

About `w3m', I have the following references:

   Akinori Ito <aito@ei5sun.yz.yamagata-u.ac.jp>
   http://ei5nazha.yz.yamagata-u.ac.jp/~aito/w3m/eng/

I also found it bundled on the SuSE CD-roms, in case you have them, but
do not know for other Linux distributions.

* Re: w3-mode, gnus & emacs21.
@ 2001-08-19 16:19 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-08-19 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Mattias Ahnberg <mattias@ahnberg.pp.se> writes:

> I think I read something about someone playing with emacs21 and
> w3-mode together with gnus. I've just started trying to use
> emacs21 actively, and so far things work really nice. The only
> thing that I can't get to work is w3-mode.

I had a similar problem, and even the patch mentioned in etc/PROBLEMS
(in Emacs 21) didn't do the trick.  Please try the patch and tell
whether that works.

I use the current CVS version of W3.  Both can be had via anoncvs:

grossjoh@lucy> cat work/gnu/url/CVS/Root
:pserver:anoncvs@subversions.gnu.org:/cvs
grossjoh@lucy> cat work/gnu/w3/CVS/Root
:pserver:anoncvs@subversions.gnu.org:/cvs

Good luck,
kai
--
Symbol's function definition is void: signature

* Re: w3-mode, gnus & emacs21.
@ 2001-09-01 16:33 ` Dave Love
From: Dave Love @ 2001-09-01 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

 Ahn> I think I read something about someone playing with emacs21 and
 Ahn> w3-mode together with gnus.

What does Gnus have to do with it specifically?

 Ahn> I've just started trying to use emacs21 actively, and so far
 Ahn> things work really nice. The only thing that I can't get to work
 Ahn> is w3-mode.

Bug report?

* Re: w3-mode, gnus & emacs21.
@ 2001-09-01 16:33   ` Dave Love
From: Dave Love @ 2001-09-01 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

 KG> I had a similar problem, and even the patch mentioned in
 KG> etc/PROBLEMS (in Emacs 21) didn't do the trick.

If you say in what way, someone might be able to help if you can't
debug it.

[The info about W3 in PROBLEMS was still misleading last time I
looked.]

 KG> I use the current CVS version of W3.

[There are various things in that that simply don't work.]

* Re: w3-mode, gnus & emacs21.
@ 2001-09-01 18:47     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-09-01 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Dave Love <d.love@dl.ac.uk> writes:

>  KG> I had a similar problem, and even the patch mentioned in
>  KG> etc/PROBLEMS (in Emacs 21) didn't do the trick.
>
> If you say in what way, someone might be able to help if you can't
> debug it.

It fails at a very early stage, at a spot which does not seem to have
anything to do with the etc/PROBLEMS entry.  "./configure" seems to
run okay, but the subsequent "make" fails, with the following
messages:

/----
| grossjoh@lucy> make
| cd lisp && make w3
| make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/sw-src/emacs/21.0.104/lisp/w3/w3-4.0pre.46/lisp'
| GNUSDIR=no WIDGETDIR=/home-local/grossjoh/sw/emacs-21.0/share/emacs/21.0.105/lisp/ W3SRCDIR=. emacs -batch -q -no-site-file -l ./docomp.el -f emacs-batch-build-autoloads . auto-autoloads.el
| Wrong type argument: keymapp, nil
| make[1]: *** [auto-autoloads.el] Error 255
| make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/sw-src/emacs/21.0.104/lisp/w3/w3-4.0pre.46/lisp'
| make: *** [w3] Error 2
\----

I tried to find the right `nil' which is supposed to be a keymap, but
failed.

In case it's relevant, here's the script that I used:

/----
| #!/bin/sh
|
| case `pwd` in
|   */w3-4.0pre*) ;;
|   *) echo "Must be in w3-4.0pre.30 source directory! "
|      exit 1
|      ;;
| esac
|
| if [ "$1" = "" ] ; then
|     echo "Usage: $0 <version>"
|     echo "Example: $0 30"
|     exit 1
| fi
|
| version="$1"
| emacsprefix=/usr/sw/emacs/21.0.104
| lispdir=${emacsprefix}/share/emacs/site-lisp/w3-4.0pre.$version
| infodir=${emacsprefix}/share/emacs/site-info
| # We use the builtin Gnus
| #gnusdir=${lispdir}/gnus-5.8.3
|
| echo "==> Running configure"
|
| ./configure --prefix=${emacsprefix} --enable-site-install \
|     --with-lispdir=${lispdir} --infodir=${infodir}
| #    --with-gnus=${gnusdir}
|
| echo "==> About to run make"
| echo "Run make?  Return or Ctrl-C ... \c"
| read dummy
| make
|
| echo "==> About to run make install"
| echo "Run make install?  Return or Ctrl-C ... \c"
| read dummy
| make install
|
| echo "==> Installing default.css in site-lisp dir"
| ( cd etc ; make datadir=${lispdir} install )
|
| echo "==> About to frob permissions"
| echo "Frob permissions?  Return or Ctrl-C ... \c"
| read dummy
| grant -f -o ${lispdir}
| grant -f -o ${infodir}
\----

And here is the output from that script:

/----
| grossjoh@lucy> ../config.w3-4.0pre46 46
| ==> Running configure
| checking for a BSD compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
| checking for texi2html... echo Cannot create html version of
| checking for xemacs... emacs
| checking for makeinfo... makeinfo
| checking for install-info... install-info
| checking if emacs is really XEmacs... no
| checking where .elc files should go... /usr/sw/emacs/21.0.104/share/emacs/site-lisp/w3-4.0pre.46
| checking for emacs version... 21.0
| checking for acceptable custom library... /home-local/grossjoh/sw/emacs-21.0/share/emacs/21.0.105/lisp/
| checking for recent gnus version... no
| checking how to rebuild custom autoloads... $(EMACS) $(BATCHFLAGS) $(DEPS) -f emacs-batch-build-custom-load $(srcdir)
| creating ./config.status
| creating Makefile
| creating etc/Makefile
| creating texi/Makefile
| creating lisp/Makefile
| creating lisp/w3-cfg.el
|
| Sucessfully configured Emacs/W3
| Using custom package installed in: /home-local/grossjoh/sw/emacs-21.0/share/emacs/21.0.105/lisp/
| Emacs/W3 will be compiled with: emacs
|
| To finish building Emacs/W3 type 'make' now.
| To install Emacs/W3 type 'make install'.
| To create autoloads in '$(prefix)/share/emacs/site-lisp/default.el' type 'make dotemacs'
| ==> About to run make
| Run make?  Return or Ctrl-C ... \c
\----

I hit C-c to prevent execution of "make" -- you've seen how that
fails, already.

kai
--

@ 2001-09-05 17:51       ` Dave Love
From: Dave Love @ 2001-09-05 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

 KG> It fails at a very early stage, at a spot which does not seem to
 KG> have anything to do with the etc/PROBLEMS entry.  "./configure"
 KG> seems to run okay, but the subsequent "make" fails, with the
 KG> following messages:

I didn't realize it was a build problem.  Is there a problem actually
running it if you compile by hand or use Emacs 20-compiled files
(e.g. Debian's)?  It did work for me to the extent I used it.

 KG> I tried to find the right `nil' which is supposed to be a keymap, but
 KG> failed.

It's in the widget library.  I forget which map, but it should be
obvious from a backtrace.  Remove the bogus setting of it in the
compilation driver.  Actually, remove any such settings.

[Using such drivers is normally not a good idea.  I don't do it to
build the development W3 (which means the one in CVS may not work).  I
had to do quite a lot of work to ensure that Gnus 5.9 built properly
by compiling independent files so that Emacs could bootstrap and not
have maintenance surprises from changing Gnus.  Real errors in W3 and
Gnus came to light from noting all the compiler warnings and DTRT,
rather than trying to suppress them.  Compiler changes and appropriate
coding conventions reduce the noise from warnings in such packages; I
don't remember which changes are in the mythical Emacs 21 compiler.]

* Re: w3-mode, gnus & emacs21.
@ 2001-09-05 21:41         ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-09-05 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Dave Love <d.love@dl.ac.uk> writes:

> [Using such drivers is normally not a good idea.  I don't do it to
> build the development W3 (which means the one in CVS may not work).

I use the standard mantra to build URL and W3 from CVS, and that's
sufficient for displaying HTML in Gnus as well as at least one random
web page.

For URL:

        make distclean
        autoconf
        ./configure --with-gnus=$HOME/lisp/gnus/lisp
        make

For W3:

        make distclean
        autoconf
        ./configure --with-gnus=$HOME/lisp/gnus/lisp \
                --with-url=$HOME/work/gnu/url/lisp
        make

I hope to find the time to try 4.0pre46 as you described.  Thanks for
the info.

kai
--
Symbol's function definition is void: signature