* problem switching to quassia
@ 1997-12-02  5:45 Jens-Ulrik Holger Petersen
From: Jens-Ulrik Holger Petersen @ 1997-12-02  5:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

I just tried to use Quassia (0.17) for the first time (it comes
bundled with the xemacs-20.4-beta7 packages).

When I run `message-mail' from a vanilla xemacs, I get the following
backtrace:

---- Start of included text -----------------------8<--- cut here -------------
Signaling: (wrong-type-argument stringp nndraft-directory)
  expand-file-name(nndraft-directory)
  nnmail-group-pathname("drafts" nndraft-directory)
  nnmh-possibly-change-directory("drafts" nil)
  nnmh-request-accept-article("drafts" nil t noinsert)
  apply(nnmh-request-accept-article ("drafts" nil t noinsert))
  nnoo-parent-function(nndraft nnmh-request-accept-article ("drafts" nil t noinsert))
  nndraft-request-accept-article("drafts" nil t noinsert)
  nndraft-request-associate-buffer("drafts")
  message-set-auto-save-file-name()
  message-mode()
  message-pop-to-buffer("*mail*")
  #<compiled-function (from "message.elc") (&optional to subject other-headers continue switch-function yank-action send-actions) "...(52)" [t message-this-is-mail message-pop-to-buffer message-buffer-name "mail" to message-setup To "" Subject subject other-headers] 4 ("/proj2/lang/mule-unsupported/lib/xemacs/packages/lisp/gnus/message.elc" . 69050) nil>()
  call-interactively(message-mail)
  command-execute(message-mail t)
  execute-extended-command(nil)
  call-interactively(execute-extended-command)
---- End of included text -------------------------8<--- and here -------------

The trouble is I can't see why `nnmh-directory's value is
`nndraft-directory' and not a string.

Anyone know what is going on here?

--
Jens	<http://www.kurims.kyoto-u.ac.jp/~petersen>
---

* Re: problem switching to quassia
@ 1997-12-02  6:29 ` Jens-Ulrik Holger Petersen
From: Jens-Ulrik Holger Petersen @ 1997-12-02  6:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hmmm, I "fixed" my problem by making (sure I had) a
"~/News/drafts/drafts/" directory.  Now `message-mail' and
`message-news' seem to work fine.  Or should that directory be
just "~/News/drafts/"?

Anyway there seems to be a bug here that needs fixing.  I shouldn't
have to create any directory by hand.

--
Jens	<http://www.kurims.kyoto-u.ac.jp/~petersen>
---
One monk said to the other, "The fish has flopped out of the net! How
will it live?"  The other said, "When you have gotten out of the net,
I'll tell you."

* Re: problem switching to quassia
@ 1997-12-06 13:14 ` Dave Love
From: Dave Love @ 1997-12-06 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

 juhp> Signaling: (wrong-type-argument stringp nndraft-directory)
 juhp>   expand-file-name(nndraft-directory)
 juhp>   nnmail-group-pathname("drafts" nndraft-directory)
[...]
 juhp> The trouble is I can't see why `nnmh-directory's value is
 juhp> `nndraft-directory' and not a string.

Indeed!

 juhp> Hmmm, I "fixed" my problem by making (sure I had) a
 juhp> "~/News/drafts/drafts/" directory.  Now `message-mail' and
 juhp> `message-news' seem to work fine.

I think this is a red herring [are red herrings international?].  I
see this behaviour sometimes (but in Emacs20) apparently depending in
which order things get loaded, i.e. the sequence in which I read
news/send mail/whatever after restarting Emacs.  I haven't been able
to debug it as it only happens when I'm pushed for time.  Any ideas
from experts on things to check next time would be welcome; just
trundling up the stack wasn't enlightening.

* Re: problem switching to quassia
@ 1997-12-14 10:01   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-12-14 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dave Love <d.love@dl.ac.uk> writes:

>  juhp> Hmmm, I "fixed" my problem by making (sure I had) a
>  juhp> "~/News/drafts/drafts/" directory.  Now `message-mail' and
>  juhp> `message-news' seem to work fine.
>
> I think this is a red herring [are red herrings international?].  I
> see this behaviour sometimes (but in Emacs20) apparently depending in
> which order things get loaded, i.e. the sequence in which I read
> news/send mail/whatever after restarting Emacs.  I haven't been able
> to debug it as it only happens when I'm pushed for time.  Any ideas
> from experts on things to check next time would be welcome; just
> trundling up the stack wasn't enlightening.

Yeah.  The problem is in nnoo, but I haven't been able to pinpoint it
yet.