Gnus development mailing list
From: David Rogers <davidandrewrogers@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: I want to expire some even if unread
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2020 12:57:42 -0700

> On Saturday, 13 Jun 2020 at 02:35, davidandrewrogers@gmail.com
> wrote:
>> The manual states more than once that
>> gnus-auto-expirable-newsgroups
>> only expires messages that have been read; my question is about
>> expiring *all* messages, even the unread ones, when they get
>> old. If
>> gnus-auto-expirable-newsgroups can be made to expire both read
>> and
>> unread together, then that's great. (but please tell me how)
>
> I use "M H" and "M h" (selective catch-up, sorting the group by
> date,
> say) all the time to catch up many articles without reading
> them.  My
> understanding is that these are then marked as having been read
> and,
> with the setting that others have noted, will then participate
> in the
> expiry process.

That makes sense. And the responses so far are tending to indicate
to me that the answer to my question is essentially "No, Gnus
won't do what you're asking about, try something different". Does
that seem accurate? (since my question was specifically about
deleting old unread messages automatically, with zero need for
intervention)

--
David Rogers