Gnus development mailing list
From: davidandrewrogers@gmail.com
To: "Gijs Hillenius" <gijs@hillenius.net>
Cc: David Rogers <davidandrewrogers@gmail.com>,  Gnus list <ding@gnus.org>
Subject: Re: I want to expire some even if unread
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2020 02:35:55 -0700

Gijs Hillenius <gijs@hillenius.net> writes:

> On 12 June 2020 17:36 David Rogers, wrote:
>
>> Hello all
>>
>> I'm looking for a way, just on certain groups, to expire
>> messages
>> based ONLY on the fact that they're old, regardless of whether
>> they're read or not. I won't remember to activate a special
>> switch
>> every x weeks or whatever, so I'm looking for something I can
>> "set
>> and forget". Perhaps this type of setup is considered too
>> likely to
>> cause unexpected data loss, but if I lose these particular
>> groups by
>> accident it won't really matter.
>>
>> Automatic catch-up to a certain point, maybe? I'm having a hard
>> time
>> finding information on this.
>>
>> It would be a nice bonus if ticked messages were kept, but I'd
>> rather
>> lose a few ticked messages than have no automatic expiry.
>
> have you tried
>
> gnus-auto-expirable-newsgroups
>
> ?

The manual states more than once that
gnus-auto-expirable-newsgroups only expires messages that have
been read; my question is about expiring *all* messages, even the
unread ones, when they get old. If gnus-auto-expirable-newsgroups
can be made to expire both read and unread together, then that's
great. (but please tell me how)

--
Thanks
David Rogers