* Undo effect of adaptive scoring?
@ 2001-07-03 13:32 Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-07-03 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

I use adaptive scoring.  Sometimes, some messages in a thread are
scored down, whereas others are scored up.  What can I do on a
scored-down message so that the adaptive scoring machinery in Gnus
knows that this message shouldn't be scored down?  Is it enough to
just M-u and then g the message?

kai
--
~/.signature: No such file or directory

* Re: Undo effect of adaptive scoring?
@ 2001-07-03 13:51 ` Michael Livshin
From: Michael Livshin @ 2001-07-03 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Groъjohann) writes:

> I use adaptive scoring.  Sometimes, some messages in a thread are
> scored down, whereas others are scored up.  What can I do on a
> scored-down message so that the adaptive scoring machinery in Gnus
> knows that this message shouldn't be scored down?  Is it enough to
> just M-u and then g the message?

a kinda related question.

is there a way to say "don't score posts from this person adaptively"?

or perhaps just "if a manual score setting applies, don't score
adaptively", on post-by-post basis?

--
All ITS machines now have hardware for a new machine instruction --
SETS

* Re: Undo effect of adaptive scoring?
@ 2001-07-03 15:07 ` Matt Armstrong
From: Matt Armstrong @ 2001-07-03 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I use adaptive scoring.  Sometimes, some messages in a thread are
> scored down, whereas others are scored up.  What can I do on a
> scored-down message so that the adaptive scoring machinery in Gnus
> knows that this message shouldn't be scored down?  Is it enough to
> just M-u and then g the message?
>
> kai

Yes and no -- adaptive scoring works off of the mark on the articles
in a group when you exit.  But if something has been adaptively scored
way down, one "read" mark may not be enough to cancel it out.

If for some reason you want to defeat adaptive scoring for a thread or
person, you can increase them temporarily or permanently with I.

* Re: Undo effect of adaptive scoring?
@ 2001-07-03 16:13   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-07-03 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On Tue, 3 Jul 2001, Matt Armstrong wrote:

> Yes and no -- adaptive scoring works off of the mark on the articles
> in a group when you exit.  But if something has been adaptively
> scored way down, one "read" mark may not be enough to cancel it out.

I see.  But at least the "read" mark has some effect.  That's the most
important part.

> If for some reason you want to defeat adaptive scoring for a thread
> or person, you can increase them temporarily or permanently with I.

I was asking for specific postings.  But now I've corrected the bug in
~/.gnus where it tried to remove the `from' entries from
gnus-adaptive-score-alist.  So adaptive scoring should from now on
ignore the people and only score threads.  So I guess in the future
there will be less of a need to undo the adaptive down-scoring.

kai
--

@ 2001-07-03 16:14   ` Michael Livshin
From: Michael Livshin @ 2001-07-03 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Matt Armstrong <matt@lickey.com> writes:

> If for some reason you want to defeat adaptive scoring for a thread or
> person, you can increase them temporarily or permanently with I.

well, yeah.  this gets annoying after a while, though.

case in point: Kai's post in gnu.emacs.help have "manual" score of
5000 now.  it's because I increase it all the time to defeat the
adaptive scoring -- the real score of his posts there as shown by V S
is around 20.

I wish I just could say: "please don't score Kai's posts adaptively".

otherwise I find adaptive scoring extremely useful.  it just doesn't
cope well with people who are worth reading _and_ post a lot _and_
tend to answer a lot of newbie questions. ;)

--
All ITS machines now have hardware for a new machine instruction --
BOT

@ 2001-07-03 16:43     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-07-03 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 03 Jul 2001, Michael Livshin wrote:

> I wish I just could say: "please don't score Kai's posts
> adaptively".

I know how to say: don't create adaptive scoring rules based on the
>From header.

This is how I do it:

(require 'gnus-score)
(setq gnus-adaptive-score-alist
      (mapcar (lambda (x)
                (cons (car x)
                      (when (assq 'from (cdr x))
                        (setq x (remove (assq 'from (cdr x)) (cdr x))))))
              gnus-adaptive-score-alist))

kai
--

@ 2001-07-03 16:59       ` Michael Livshin
From: Michael Livshin @ 2001-07-03 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Groъjohann) writes:

> On 03 Jul 2001, Michael Livshin wrote:
>
> > I wish I just could say: "please don't score Kai's posts
> > adaptively".
>
> I know how to say: don't create adaptive scoring rules based on the
> From header.

oh, I know it's possible.  but scoring on From is actually useful.
threads tend to drift too much.

[ snip ]

--
Specifications are for the weak and timid!
                                        -- Klingon Programmer