From: Mike FABIAN <mfabian@suse.de>
Subject: Re: Status of XEmacs' (21.5) UTF-8 capabilities
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 17:16:46 +0100	[thread overview]

Mike FABIAN <mfabian@suse.de> さんは書きました:

> You need to patch Gnus v5.10.6 a little bit. Attached is the small patch
> for Gnus v5.10.6 which I use to make XEmacs be able to post in UTF-8:

OK, with my patch I can post in UTF-8.

But now I would like to know how I can disable this for certain
recipients.

Unfortunately most web-mail services cannot yet handle UTF-8.
If I write a mail containing Japanese *and* German to somebody
with a

    @yahoo.co.jp, @hotmail.com, ...

address, and I don't remember that I must not use
real German umlauts (äüöÄÜÖß) but rather the ASCII replacements
ae, ue, oe, Ae, Ue, Oe, ss, then XEmacs/Gnus sends it as UTF-8
and the Japanese becomes completely unreadable for the recipient.

Therefore I wonder whether it is already possible with
Gnus to force a certain encoding depending on the address of the
recipient. For example, if the To: address matches one
of the above mentioned web-mailers, use ISO-2022-JP encoding,
no matter what.

This would of course destroy German Umlauts, but that usually doesn't
make the German completely unreadable (contrary to Japanese which
becomes complete garbage for the reader when his MUA doesn't support
the encoding).

Does anything like this already exist in Gnus?

--
Mike FABIAN   <mfabian@suse.de>   http://www.suse.de/~mfabian
睡眠不足はいい仕事の敵だ。