From: arius@immd2.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Peter Arius)
Subject: Re: `mouse-face' under XEmacs
Date: 17 Nov 1995 12:32:38 +0100	[thread overview]

  Lars> Yup. I've done something similar in September 0.14. Which means
  Lars> that, for the very first time, we'll have proper mouse highlighting
  Lars> of "%(...%)" regions under XEmacs. Whee!

Argh, I forgot about that one, but now I can't restrain myself any longer
8). I really prefer the whole line to be highlighted. It's easier to select
a group, if one may click anywhere on the line, and it is not required to
hit the group name.

Two more remarks:

1.) Of course, I could set the `gnus-group-line-format' to include the
    whole line in between "%(..%)". But, for XEmacs at least, this should
    probably be the default, as all line-oriented modes like dired, buffer
    list etc. behave this way.

2.) If group/article selection is implemented such, that the user may click
    anywhere on the line to select an entry, but that only a smaller part
    of the line is highlighted, when the mouse moves over it, I'd consider
    this as an inconsistent user interface. IMHO highlighting means "click
    here to select", and it should precisely indicate the places where one
    can click.

As always, just my $0.01989954.

	Peter

--
I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas.
	-Calvin