* Gnus problems at the edge of memory
@ 1997-04-01 16:43 Jost Krieger
From: Jost Krieger @ 1997-04-01 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

For quite a few versions of Gnus (say since 5.0.xx) I've been running into problems
because I was running out of memory (sic).

1. scenario: Virtual memory fills up, I get the dreaded "save-some-buffers" message
   (saving doesn't help of course). Then I try and save gnus (to just
   exit). Unfortunately, saving .newsrc.eld seems to need memory, which isn't there ...
   I should mention I use all the extras like mailcrypt, supercite, tm, bbdb ...

2. scenario: at other times, my disk fills up. Most of the time I'm
   left with an almost empty active file (for nnml). Could we please
   have a generate-active function ? (Right now I use a shell script.)

Jost

Jost Krieger, Postmaster, Rechenzentrum der Ruhr-Universität Bochum
Jost.Krieger@rz.ruhr-uni-bochum.de

* Re: Gnus problems at the edge of memory
@ 1997-04-02  9:55 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-04-02  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jost Krieger <kriegjcb@rz.ruhr-uni-bochum.de> writes:

> 1. scenario: Virtual memory fills up, I get the dreaded
>    "save-some-buffers" message (saving doesn't help of course).

Saving does help -- if the dribble buffer is saved, all information
will be restored the next time you run Gnus.

> 2. scenario: at other times, my disk fills up. Most of the time I'm
>    left with an almost empty active file (for nnml). Could we please
>    have a generate-active function ? (Right now I use a shell script.)

`M-x nnml-generate-nov-databases' will do this, but it takes quite a
while, I guess...

  lmi@gnus.org * Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen

* Re: Gnus problems at the edge of memory
@ 1997-04-02 17:52 ` Stainless Steel Rat
From: Stainless Steel Rat @ 1997-04-02 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

--
Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net>    \ Do not use Happy Fun Ball on concrete.
PGP Key: at a key server near you! \

* Re: Gnus problems at the edge of memory
@ 1997-04-02 21:22   ` Dewey M. Sasser
From: Dewey M. Sasser @ 1997-04-02 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

    JK> For quite a few versions of Gnus (say since 5.0.xx) I've been
    JK> running into problems because I was running out of memory
    JK> (sic).

    Rich> Really....

    JK> 1. scenario: Virtual memory fills up,

    Rich> I find this to be a neat trick, considering that on the
    Rich> "bloated" Windows 95 platform I can run GNU Emacs 19.34,
    Rich> Gnus, bbdb, mailicrypt, supercite, and the rest of my 12Mb
    Rich> or so collection of Emacs Lisp dohickies, and still not
    Rich> force my swap file above 20Mb on a 12Mb RAM machine.  In
    Rich> fact, right now my swap file is just over 11Mb.

It happens with reasonable (or rather, unreasonable) frequency on OS/2
(Warp 3.0), which I'm sure points to a memory leak in the emacs port
or in more likely in the OS/2 dlls rather than GNUS.  However, it used
to be much worse when I used RMAIL.

I usually manage to exit emacs normally (which clears the swap file
problems), but when I don't, as long as the dribble file gets saved
proper state can be restored.

(BTW, netscape + emacs can bring my swap to it's knees is no time.
Care to guess which tool I don't use because of it? :)

--
Dewey M. Sasser 			voice: (617) 494-6000
dewey@newvision.com                     PGP Key from public servers

* Re: Gnus problems at the edge of memory
@ 1997-04-03 14:41   ` Jost Krieger
From: Jost Krieger @ 1997-04-03 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: (ding)