For quite a few versions of Gnus (say since 5.0.xx) I've been running into problems because I was running out of memory (sic). 1. scenario: Virtual memory fills up, I get the dreaded "save-some-buffers" message (saving doesn't help of course). Then I try and save gnus (to just exit). Unfortunately, saving .newsrc.eld seems to need memory, which isn't there ... I should mention I use all the extras like mailcrypt, supercite, tm, bbdb ... 2. scenario: at other times, my disk fills up. Most of the time I'm left with an almost empty active file (for nnml). Could we please have a generate-active function ? (Right now I use a shell script.) Jost