* customizing gnus-posting-styles?
@ 2001-01-31 22:24 John H. Palmieri
From: John H. Palmieri @ 2001-01-31 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

So ShengHuo ZHU has this nice signature:

  (setq gnus-posting-styles '((".*" (signature-file "~/.signature"))))

I typed 'C-h v gnus-posting-styles' and was told (among other things)

  You can customize this variable.

When I type 'M-x customize-variable gnus-posting-styles', on the other
hand, I am told

  Variable gnus-posting-styles cannot be customized

gnus-posting-styles is defined in gnus-msg, where it is defined using
defvar.  So why am I told that I can customize it?  Does this happen
with everyone, or is there something screwy in my setup?

(This is with Oort Gnus v0.01, taken from cvs on January 11 or so.)

--
John H. Palmieri
Dept of Mathematics, Box 354350    palmieri@math.washington.edu

* Re: customizing gnus-posting-styles?
@ 2001-01-31 23:01 ` Eric Jacoboni
From: Eric Jacoboni @ 2001-01-31 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

John> I typed 'C-h v gnus-posting-styles' and was told (among other things)

John>   You can customize this variable.

Curious. With the same command, i dont get this message but :

gnus-posting-styles's value is
((".*"
  (signature ma-signature)
  (address "jaco@teaser.fr"))
 ("fr.usenet.logiciels"
  (address "jaco@titine.fr.eu.org")))

Documentation:
*Alist of styles to use when posting.

Defined in `gnus-msg'.

John> (This is with Oort Gnus v0.01, taken from cvs on January 11 or so.)

Mine is the same, cvs'ed today...
--
Éric Jacoboni, né il y a 1284343024 secondes.

* Re: customizing gnus-posting-styles?
@ 2001-02-01  1:04   ` John H. Palmieri
From: John H. Palmieri @ 2001-02-01  1:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

This behavior is completely reproducible for me.  I've done the
following, and I still get the message that gnus-posting-styles is
customizable:

  upgraded to the current cvs (30 minutes ago or so)
  started emacs with 'emacs -q'
  deleted my .gnus file
  removed the directories containing old versions of gnus from the
     load-path
  deleted all of the .elc files in gnus/lisp

Doing all of these has no effect; I still get this message.

Anyone have any idea what's going on?  I'm really puzzled.

@ 2001-02-01  2:45     ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2001-02-01  2:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

palmieri@math.washington.edu (John H. Palmieri) writes:

> This behavior is completely reproducible for me.  I've done the
> following, and I still get the message that gnus-posting-styles is
> customizable:

I tested it in Emacs 20.4 and Emacs 20.7. My conclusion is that it is
a bug in Emacs 20.4.

ShengHuo

--

@ 2001-02-01 14:24       ` Raymond Scholz
From: Raymond Scholz @ 2001-02-01 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

ShengHuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> schrieb:

> I tested it in Emacs 20.4 and Emacs 20.7. My conclusion is that it is
> a bug in Emacs 20.4.

Nope, my Emacs 20.7 (from Debian Potato) is unwilling to customize
this, too.

Cheers,
  Ray
--
Raymond Scholz - rscholz@zonix.de - PGP - http://www.zonix.de/

* Re: customizing gnus-posting-styles?
@ 2001-02-01 16:32         ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 2001-02-01 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Raymond Scholz <ray-2001@zonix.de> writes:

> ShengHuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> schrieb:
>
> > I tested it in Emacs 20.4 and Emacs 20.7. My conclusion is that it is
> > a bug in Emacs 20.4.
>
> Nope, my Emacs 20.7 (from Debian Potato) is unwilling to customize
> this, too.

The bug is that 20.4 somehow marked it as customizable with 'C-h v',
despite the option not being declared with defcustom.

I don't remember why Emacs choose to disable customization of
variables declared with 'defvar', the custom code is supposed to
handle these (it calls them "rogue" options).