* how to delete a recalcitrant message in an IMAP mail group?
@ 2001-10-17 22:14 John H. Palmieri
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: John H. Palmieri @ 2001-10-17 22:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

I posted this to gnu.emacs.gnus, and thought maybe I should post here,
too.  I'm using

"Gnus/5.090004 (Oort Gnus v0.04) Emacs/21.0.106"

updated from cvs yesterday (the most recent entry in the ChangeLog is
2001-10-06).

I'm using gnus and nnimap to read my mail, and I'm having a small
problem.  Gnus goes to my mail server, gets my mail, and then splits
it into various mail groups, storing the mail from each group in a
file on the local machine.  One of those files has a fairly old
message in it, one which should have been expired, but wasn't.  When I
enter that group and try to view all the old messages (C-u RET, then
respond appropriately when it asks how many messages I want to
retrieve), it takes a long time to open, and when it does, that old
message is not visible, so I can't mark it for expiry or delete it.

Can I edit the actual mail file and just delete the offending message?
Can I tell gnus to regenerate some database for that group?  How can I
get rid of this message?

(The relevant mail group happens to be for the gnus mailing list, so
as much as I cherish all of your messages, if I have to delete the
whole thing and start over, it won't be a disaster.  I'm not even sure
how to do that the right way, though.)

--
J. H. Palmieri
Dept of Mathematics, Box 354350    mailto:palmieri@math.washington.edu