* Hmm.. pop in gnus?
@ 1997-02-25 15:06 Ben Gertzfield
From: Ben Gertzfield @ 1997-02-25 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Re: Hmm.. pop in gnus?
@ 1997-02-25 16:13 ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1997-02-25 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

  Ben> How does one go about using pop as a select method for a group?

One doesn't.(*)  One uses POP as a spool file specification.  Here's
how:

(1) Compile movemail with POP support (Emacs configuration option
    --with-pop or something).

(2) Set the environment variable MAILHOST to where the POP server is.

(3) Use the following as nnmail-spool-file: "po:foo" where "foo" is
    your POP account.

I use this, and it works.  There's also pop3.el (comes with Gnus), but
I don't know how to use it.

(*) Sorry for nitpicking, just couldn't resist...

kai
--
~/.signature

* Re: Hmm.. pop in gnus?
@ 1997-02-25 16:31 ` Rich Pieri
From: Rich Pieri @ 1997-02-25 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

--
Rich Pieri <rich.pieri@prescienttech.com> | Happy Fun Ball contains a liquid
Prescient Technologies, Inc.              | core, which, if exposed due to

* Re: Hmm.. pop in gnus?
@ 1997-02-25 18:12   ` Ben Gertzfield
From: Ben Gertzfield @ 1997-02-25 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

* Re: Hmm.. pop in gnus?
@ 1997-02-25 18:29     ` Rich Pieri
From: Rich Pieri @ 1997-02-25 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

--
Rich Pieri <rich.pieri@prescienttech.com> | If Happy Fun Ball begins to smoke,
Prescient Technologies, Inc.              | get away immediately. Seek shelter

@ 1997-02-25 23:37   ` Paul Franklin
From: Paul Franklin @ 1997-02-25 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm also a happy user of movemail compiled with POP.

Movemail can perform various forms of automatic authentication (APOP
(similar to rsh/rlogin), KPOP (Kerberos)), depending on what
compile-time options are used.  If I didn't want this support, I'd
probably use pop3-movemail.

APOP is non-trivial though since the APOP code disappeared from the
FSF distribution about Emacs 19.29, and even if you resurrect the
required code, it needs to be installed setuid root.  But I made the
changes locally and I'm reasonably happy with it.

--Paul

 > One uses POP as a spool file specification.  Here's how:

 > (1) Compile movemail with POP support (Emacs configuration option
 >     --with-pop or something).

 > (2) Set the environment variable MAILHOST to where the POP server is.

 > (3) Use the following as nnmail-spool-file: "po:foo" where "foo" is
 >     your POP account.

 > I use this, and it works.  There's also pop3.el (comes with Gnus), but
 > I don't know how to use it.

* Re: Hmm.. pop in gnus?
@ 1997-02-26 11:33   ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1997-02-26 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Grossjohann <grossjohann@charly.informatik.uni-dortmund.de> writes:

> (1) Compile movemail with POP support (Emacs configuration option
>     --with-pop or something).

You can't do it in XEmacs, and the original poster uses XEmacs.
Someone should update XEmacs movemail.c.

> I use this, and it works.  There's also pop3.el (comes with Gnus), but
> I don't know how to use it.

pop3.el should work with XEmacs, but I don't know if anyone was brave
enough to actually try it.

--
Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> | Student at FER Zagreb, Croatia
--------------------------------+--------------------------------

* Re: Hmm.. pop in gnus?
@ 1997-02-26 15:01     ` Christopher Davis
From: Christopher Davis @ 1997-02-26 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

PF> == Paul Franklin <paul@cs.washington.edu>

 PF> APOP is non-trivial though since the APOP code disappeared from the
 PF> FSF distribution about Emacs 19.29, and even if you resurrect the
 PF> required code, it needs to be installed setuid root.

I think you're confusing APOP (which uses a challenge-response
authentication) with RPOP (which used the rsh/rlogin approach).

* Re: Hmm.. pop in gnus?
@ 1997-02-26 20:33       ` Paul Franklin
From: Paul Franklin @ 1997-02-26 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: John Twilley

 > PF> == Paul Franklin <paul@cs.washington.edu>

 >  PF> APOP is non-trivial though since the APOP code disappeared from the
 >  PF> FSF distribution about Emacs 19.29, and even if you resurrect the
 >  PF> required code, it needs to be installed setuid root.

 > I think you're confusing APOP (which uses a challenge-response
 > authentication) with RPOP (which used the rsh/rlogin approach).

Oops.  You're quite right.

Sorry for any confusion and false hopes I might have given folks.

--Paul

* Re: Hmm.. pop in gnus?
@ 1997-02-28 19:21     ` Albrecht Kadlec
From: Albrecht Kadlec @ 1997-02-28 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> writes:

> Kai Grossjohann <grossjohann@charly.informatik.uni-dortmund.de> writes:
>
> > (1) Compile movemail with POP support (Emacs configuration option
> >     --with-pop or something).
>
> You can't do it in XEmacs, and the original poster uses XEmacs.
> Someone should update XEmacs movemail.c.
>
> > I use this, and it works.  There's also pop3.el (comes with Gnus), but
> > I don't know how to use it.
>
> pop3.el should work with XEmacs, but I don't know if anyone was brave
> enough to actually try it.

thanks for the warnings.
I tried it, before I read this, and I use it now, as it seems to work. :

Problems, I had:

The pop support is not at all well documented:

   I had to guess my setting:
      pop3-mailhost "auto.auto.tuwien.ac.at."
      nnmail-movemail-program 'nnmail-pop3-movemail
      nnmail-spool-file "po:albrecht"	; nil: don't ever read mail
;      nnmail-pop-password-required t

  Note that I have to leave nnmail-pop-password-required nil, or
  I'd otherwise be queried twice for the password since
  pop3-password-required's value is t.

  Especially the pop3-mailhost setting was not easy to find.

  I tried
      nnmail-movemail-program "movemail"
  but it tried to open the file /usr/spool/mail/po:albrecht :-)
  I guess that's a bug in the wrapper to the movemail program.
  (nnmail-spool-file is appended to rmail-spool-directory, before the
  check for "po:")

could someone add this (and the external-movemail description) to the
doc's ?

albrecht