On Thu, May 05 2011, Ted Zlatanov wrote: > Has anyone tested to see if DNS lookups are actually a problem? Test an > entirely local page vs. a page with lots of remote image URLs. I don't > see a difference on my machine. In a web browser? Because they are parallelized and/or multi-threaded, maybe? > Typically DNS lookups are very fast and HTML pages don't have a huge mix > of domains for the images they reference, so I think this is wasted > effort *for the specific purpose of rendering HTML faster*. I can't > think of any practical uses within Emacs for async DNS lookups, either. I may be wrong, but I disagree: they are usually fast, except when there is a problem or you're behind a very slow link. Just because they are serialized and synchronous. OTOH, I agree that the only useful place for this enhancement is probably HTML rendering… -- Julien Danjou ❱ http://julien.danjou.info