On Mon, Dec 13 2010, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote: > The mission: To make first-time Gnus usage not suck. Good idea. :) > (Long-term we want to use Assistants, but let's just contemplate Gnus > defaults for the time being.) I don't think assistants is a good solution. That would just hide a complexity. But things should not be complex. > So, created a brand new test user, and I put the following in my .emacs > file: > > (setq gnus-select-method '(nnimap "imap.gmail.com")) FWIW, it took me several weeks until I understand what was the differences between gnus-select-method and gnus-secondary-select-methods. That could be a starting point. > 2) don't create the queue group -- it should be deferred until it's > needed (if ever) Weird, I do not have one. It may be recent. > 4) subscribe all the groups from the primary select method (and activate > them) if the primary select method is a mail method (like nnimap) Add nnimap into `gnus-auto-subscribed-groups'? (I do that in my configuration. I prefer to be auto-subscribed and kill the group if I do not want it, rather than miss a new group. :) -- Julien Danjou ❱ http://julien.danjou.info