* Your way to quickstart Gnus?
@ 2011-08-15 15:17 XeCycle
From: XeCycle @ 2011-08-15 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hello, I want to know if you have a way to start Gnus quickly when using
emacsclient.

I bind a key (in my WM) to execute `emacsclient -c -e '(gnus)'`, however
the *Group* buffer appeared read-only before I press a key --- for
example when I started it and press "Enter", Emacs will beep,
complaining this buffer read-only, then everything is fine.  Another
problem is that the splash image won't be shown.

Well, these are all minor problems, but I'll be glad if I can solve it.
What's your way?

--
Carl Lei (XeCycle)
Department of Physics, Shanghai Jiao Tong University

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 489 bytes --]

* Re: Your way to quickstart Gnus?
@ 2011-08-15 15:26 ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2011-08-15 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

XeCycle <xecycle@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello, I want to know if you have a way to start Gnus quickly when using
> emacsclient.
>
> I bind a key (in my WM) to execute `emacsclient -c -e '(gnus)'`, however
> the *Group* buffer appeared read-only before I press a key --- for
> example when I started it and press "Enter", Emacs will beep,
> complaining this buffer read-only, then everything is fine.  Another
> problem is that the splash image won't be shown.
>
> Well, these are all minor problems, but I'll be glad if I can solve it.
> What's your way?

not tested, but I use to use this:

,----
| (defun rgr/mailto (to)
|   "Send an email to 'to' but prompting for a posting style if not configured. Starts Gnus if not already running."
|   (unless gnus-active-hashtb (gnus)) ;; Better way??
|   (let ((gnus-newsgroup-name
| 	 (if gnus-default-mailto-group gnus-default-mailto-group (completing-read "Use posting style of group: "
| 										  gnus-active-hashtb nil
| 										  (gnus-read-active-file-p)))))
|     (compose-mail to)))
`----

and a shell script

,----
| mailto=$(printf '%s\n' "$1" | sed -e 's/[\"]/\\&/g')
| elisp_expr=$(printf '(rgr/mailto "%s")' "$mailto")
|
| emacsclient --alternate-editor="" -c -n \
|         --eval "$elisp_expr" \
|         --eval '(set-window-dedicated-p (selected-window) t)'
`----

maybe it will help you get started if it doesnt work.

* Re: Your way to quickstart Gnus?
@ 2011-08-16  6:20   ` XeCycle
From: XeCycle @ 2011-08-16  6:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> writes:

> XeCycle <xecycle@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hello, I want to know if you have a way to start Gnus quickly when using
>> emacsclient.
>>
>> I bind a key (in my WM) to execute `emacsclient -c -e '(gnus)'`, however
>> the *Group* buffer appeared read-only before I press a key --- for
>> example when I started it and press "Enter", Emacs will beep,
>> complaining this buffer read-only, then everything is fine.  Another
>> problem is that the splash image won't be shown.
>>
>> Well, these are all minor problems, but I'll be glad if I can solve it.
>> What's your way?
>
> not tested, but I use to use this:
>
> ,----
> | (defun rgr/mailto (to)
> |   "Send an email to 'to' but prompting for a posting style if not configured. Starts Gnus if not already running."
> |   (unless gnus-active-hashtb (gnus)) ;; Better way??
> |   (let ((gnus-newsgroup-name
> | 	 (if gnus-default-mailto-group gnus-default-mailto-group (completing-read "Use posting style of group: "
> | 										  gnus-active-hashtb nil
> | 										  (gnus-read-active-file-p)))))
> |     (compose-mail to)))
> `----
>

> and a shell script
>
> ,----
> | mailto=$(printf '%s\n' "$1" | sed -e 's/[\"]/\\&/g')
> | elisp_expr=$(printf '(rgr/mailto "%s")' "$mailto")
> |
> | emacsclient --alternate-editor="" -c -n \
> |         --eval "$elisp_expr" \
> |         --eval '(set-window-dedicated-p (selected-window) t)'
> `----
>
> maybe it will help you get started if it doesnt work.

Thank you, but this is not exactly what I want --- I only need to start
Gnus up, looking at the *Group* buffer.

--

@ 2011-08-16  6:45 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2011-08-16  6:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: XeCycle; +Cc: ding

XeCycle <xecycle@gmail.com> writes:

Hi!

> I bind a key (in my WM) to execute `emacsclient -c -e '(gnus)'`,
> however the *Group* buffer appeared read-only before I press a key ---
> for example when I started it and press "Enter", Emacs will beep,
> complaining this buffer read-only, then everything is fine.  Another
> problem is that the splash image won't be shown.

Executing

  emacsclient -c -e '(gnus)'

in a terminal (with an emacs server already started) does the right
thing for me.  If Gnus was already started, I'm put into *Group*, else
it starts as usual (indeed, without the splash screen).

Bye,
Tassilo
--
Sent from my Emacs

* Re: Your way to quickstart Gnus?
@ 2011-08-16 12:25   ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2011-08-16 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Tue, Aug 16 2011, Tassilo Horn wrote:

> XeCycle <xecycle@gmail.com> writes:
>
> Hi!
>
>> I bind a key (in my WM) to execute `emacsclient -c -e '(gnus)'`,
>> however the *Group* buffer appeared read-only before I press a key ---
>> for example when I started it and press "Enter", Emacs will beep,
>> complaining this buffer read-only, then everything is fine.  Another
>> problem is that the splash image won't be shown.
>
> Executing
>
>   emacsclient -c -e '(gnus)'

I do something like this from within Emacs, but didn't want to fetch new
news when all I wanted was to go to the group buffer. I use this; I
don't know if it's totally according to Hoyle, but it seems pretty
foolproof.

(defun my-goto-gnus ()
  "Go to the gnus group buffer, starting gnus if necessary."
  (interactive)
  (if (or (not (fboundp 'gnus-alive-p))
	  (not (gnus-alive-p)))
      (gnus)
    (switch-to-buffer gnus-group-buffer t)))

* Re: Your way to quickstart Gnus?
@ 2011-08-16 15:19     ` Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 2011-08-16 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: ding

>> emacsclient -c -e '(gnus)'

EA> I do something like this from within Emacs, but didn't want to fetch
EA> new news when all I wanted was to go to the group buffer. I use
EA> this; I don't know if it's totally according to Hoyle, but it seems
EA> pretty foolproof.

One of these should work for you:

  emacsclient -c -e '(gnus 5 t)'

  emacsclient -c -e '(gnus 0)'          (or maybe 1).
--
Wes Hardaker
My Pictures:  http://capturedonearth.com/