* read marks reverting occasionally
@ 2003-08-02 21:42 Alex Schroeder
From: Alex Schroeder @ 2003-08-02 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

I reported this as a bug before leaving for holidays, and now it is
getting worse, I think.

Here is what my Group buffer looks like right now:

[ Gnus -- 7175 ]
       2: nnml:mail.spam
       1: nnml:drafts
  [ misc -- 7172 ]
       136: nnml:mail.misc
         3: nnml:mail.wilhelmtux
         1: nnml:mail.wilhelmtux.admin
        78: nnml:mail.wsis
       152: nnml:mail.bytes4all
*        0: nnml:mail.family
*        0: nnml:mail.friends
... etc.

When I start Gnus, however, nnml:mail.misc will often be listed as

*        0: nnml:mail.misc

When I hit enter, I am asked how many mails I want to see, defaulting
to a number between 500 and 1000 (there are a of 4000 to 5000 mails in
this group).  I accept the default and the summary buffer is shown.
First, a few dozen ticked messages, then a number of unread messages.
The list of unread messages seems to correspond to the the time when I
came back from my holidays (2003-07-29); I always mark some as read
and move some into nnml:mail.spam.  I even did a catchup all (`c')
yesterday.  Nevertheless, today the situation is the same.  When I
quit the mail.misc summary buffer, I get shown the group buffer where
mail.misc is listed with 100 - 200 messages (as in the example above).

In short, my read marks seem to get lost from time to time.

Any idea of how I could start debugging this?  Has nobody else noticed
this?  I upgraded from CVS as soon as I noticed the problem again
after my holidays, hoping that it had been fixed in the mean time.
But as far as I can tell, this is a problem with my config that has
been going on for several weeks by now.

Anybody interested in my .gnus file?

Alex.
--
http://www.emacswiki.org/alex/
I was on holidays from 2003-07-01 to 2003-07-29

* Re: read marks reverting occasionally
@ 2003-08-04 14:31 ` Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 2003-08-04 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alex> In short, my read marks seem to get lost from time to time.

Alex> Any idea of how I could start debugging this?

first, if you're using the agent support try turning it off (you
probably aren't for the nnml backend though) and see if that fixes it.