* ...and more picons
@ 1996-06-18 15:17 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-06-18 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm definitely on a silliness trip.  I've added more picons, uhm,
things -- there's now a `gnus-picons-get-maximum-picons' variable that
defaults to t and means that it there's icons for all of ifi, uio and
no, then display them all when reading articles from somebody at
ifi.uio.no.  I've also fiddled a bit with positioning of picons.  Let
me know what y'all think.

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Ingebrigtsen

* Re: ...and more picons
@ 1996-06-18 15:39 ` Hallvard B Furuseth
From: Hallvard B Furuseth @ 1996-06-18 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> I'm definitely on a silliness trip.

Sounds like fun.

> there's now a `gnus-picons-get-maximum-picons' variable that
> defaults to t

Can this take time?  With a slow machine, my first priority can be is to
get rid of anything time-consuming.  (Including scoring and even
threading, sometimes.)  Other times, I want anything which makes things
look or work better.

The number of variables to keep track of, is growing again...  I'd like
to be able to configure all this, without having to keep track of all
the variables.  How about a `gnus-nice-stuff' variable into which you
put a list of the nice features we want?  Or gnus-nice-visual-stuff,
gnus-nice-treading-stuff and so on.  Hm.  We tried that before without
much success.  Maybe an M-x gnus-configure is better.  Asks about
general things, like "do you want gnus to be nice, or fast?"

Regards,

Hallvard

* Re: ...and more picons
@ 1996-06-18 15:50   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-06-18 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hallvard B Furuseth <h.b.furuseth@usit.uio.no> writes:

> > there's now a `gnus-picons-get-maximum-picons' variable that
> > defaults to t
>
> Can this take time?  With a slow machine, my first priority can be is to
> get rid of anything time-consuming.  (Including scoring and even
> threading, sometimes.)  Other times, I want anything which makes things
> look or work better.

Picons is off by default -- you have to add some functions to
`gnus-article-display-hook' to see them.

> The number of variables to keep track of, is growing again...  I'd like
> to be able to configure all this, without having to keep track of all
> the variables.  How about a `gnus-nice-stuff' variable into which you
> put a list of the nice features we want?  Or gnus-nice-visual-stuff,
> gnus-nice-treading-stuff and so on.  Hm.  We tried that before without
> much success.  Maybe an M-x gnus-configure is better.  Asks about
> general things, like "do you want gnus to be nice, or fast?"

Those meta-variables again.  :-)

The manual for the new Custom thing is very nice.  To bad the new
custom.el hasn't been written yet.  Lots of neat things that can be
done within that framework...

@ 1996-06-18 16:38 ` Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 1996-06-18 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> writes:

> I'm definitely on a silliness trip.  I've added more picons, uhm,
> things -- there's now a `gnus-picons-get-maximum-picons' variable that
> defaults to t and means that it there's icons for all of ifi, uio and
> no, then display them all when reading articles from somebody at
> ifi.uio.no.

Umm... I'm confused.  Why?

9:37am teal [108]: ls /usr/local/faces/domains/no/uio/unknown/
/usr/local/faces/domains/no/uio/unknown:
face.gif  face.xbm  face.xpm

Are these the "multiple" icons your talking about?  All three of these
are supposed to be identical (well, the face.xpm == face.gif and the
face.xbm is supposed to be a bitmap version of the above.  I don't
think it has to be though).

--
                                                                _____
Wes Hardaker                                                   / ___ \

* Re: ...and more picons
@ 1996-06-18 16:58   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-06-18 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wes Hardaker <hardaker@ece.ucdavis.edu> writes:

> 9:37am teal [108]: ls /usr/local/faces/domains/no/uio/unknown/
> /usr/local/faces/domains/no/uio/unknown:
> face.gif  face.xbm  face.xpm
>
> Are these the "multiple" icons your talking about?  All three of these
> are supposed to be identical.

No, that's not what I meant.  If there are faces for no, uio, and ifi,
then the icons for no, uio and ifi will be displayed.  Instead of just
ifi, which was what happened before, I think.

* Re: ...and more picons
@ 1996-06-18 17:34     ` Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 1996-06-18 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> writes:

> No, that's not what I meant.  If there are faces for no, uio, and ifi,
> then the icons for no, uio and ifi will be displayed.  Instead of just
> ifi, which was what happened before, I think.

Um...  No...  Thats what it does now!  For instance, I currently see
two icons associated with your address:  one for .no and one for .uio
(ifi doesn't have one).

--
                                                                _____

@ 1996-06-18 18:05       ` Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 1996-06-18 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen, ding

Wes Hardaker <hardaker> writes:

> Um...  No...  Thats what it does now!  For instance, I currently see
> two icons associated with your address:  one for .no and one for .uio
> (ifi doesn't have one).

Umm...  Opps... :-/

You're right, after looking at the 5.2.20 code I've noticed that I
assumed before that given...  hell...  example:

ifi.uio.no

If ifi. had a image, .uio didn't, .no did then my code would have not
found the ifi image...  Your's would.

I wouldn't have bothered creating a variable for it though...  It
should always do that.  Its a rare case when the middle domain doesn't
have one anyway...

--
                                                                _____