* gnus scores non-displayed articles
@ 2004-08-11 13:20 Max Froumentin
From: Max Froumentin @ 2004-08-11 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

My email groups (nnimap) have the 'display' parameter set to [not
expired] so that I can see read messages in the summary but not
expired ones.

This works well, but when I enter a group, gnus applies scoring to all
the articles there, even the ones which will not be displayed in the
summary. The resulting summary is exactly the same in the end, but it
can be considerably slower in some cases.

Max.

* Re: gnus scores non-displayed articles
@ 2004-08-11 14:40 ` Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 2004-08-11 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Max> This works well, but when I enter a group, gnus applies scoring
Max> to all the articles there, even the ones which will not be
Max> displayed in the summary. The resulting summary is exactly the
Max> same in the end, but it can be considerably slower in some cases.

Yeah, but if it didn't do that wouldn't it be much harder to make
things like 'W w' work and insert all the ones that weren't displayed
later?  It could, I guess, and just completely regenerate...

* Re: gnus scores non-displayed articles
@ 2004-08-12 11:28   ` Max Froumentin
From: Max Froumentin @ 2004-08-12 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Wes,

Wes Hardaker <wes@hardakers.net> wrote:

> Yeah, but if it didn't do that wouldn't it be much harder to make
> things like 'W w' work and insert all the ones that weren't displayed
> later?  It could, I guess, and just completely regenerate...

'W w'? Word wrap?  Perhaps you meant one of the '/' commands:
summary-insert-old-articles and others.

Anyway, I still think gnus should only score what's necessary,
and score some more as the user requests more article.

Cheers,

@ 2004-08-12 14:13     ` Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 2004-08-12 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Max> Hi Wes,
Max> Wes Hardaker <wes@hardakers.net> wrote:

>> Yeah, but if it didn't do that wouldn't it be much harder to make
>> things like 'W w' work and insert all the ones that weren't displayed
>> later?  It could, I guess, and just completely regenerate...

Max> 'W w'? Word wrap?  Perhaps you meant one of the '/' commands:
Max> summary-insert-old-articles and others.

/ w, W w...  whatever.

sigh.

Max> Anyway, I still think gnus should only score what's necessary,
Max> and score some more as the user requests more article.

I think that would be nice...