From: Wes Hardaker <wes@hardakers.net>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: upgrade notes
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2011 12:29:38 -0800	[thread overview]

LI> Oh, right.  Otherwise everything is OK?  It's showing the correct number
LI> of messages and everything?

Yep.  The unread number gets updated.

LI> The % mark is something that I must admit I can't recall ever hearing
LI> about, even though "git blame" claims that I added it in 1998.  So it's
LI> supposed to appear on groups that have new mail after you do a `g'?
LI> That sounds quite useful, actually.  :-)

It is (err...  was)...

LI> Is this correct?  The `%' would stay there over several `g' runs?  I may
LI> be misreading the code.

Yep.  That's correct.  If I enter the group, but don't read anything,
and exit it would go away.

Functionally it was an "indication that new mail was in the group since
the last time I had been in it".

LI> 1) Ignore the issue.  "% is for client-side splits"

:-(

LI> 2) Have nnimap follow the semantics for the other mail backends, and add
LI> a dummy thing to nnmail-split-history if a `g' registers new messages.
LI> Simple enough to do.

That sounds like it would work.  I think.  Since I'm not familiar with
how splitting in gnus is done (I used it once back in like, um, 1960 I
think) I'm not sure if that sentence meets my functionality described
above or not.

LI> 3) Add a new ?W spec (or something) that would just show a "%" on
LI>    all groups with unseen messages.

I *think* that's right too.  I have lots of "unread" messages in groups
because I typically will go into a box, read something and then "unmark"
it again because I need to deal with it later (where read-marks are left
on stuff that is "don't delete yet, but it's not functionally a
todo-list item").

--
Wes Hardaker
My Pictures:  http://capturedonearth.com/