* adaptive scoring in mail (nnml) groups.
@ 1996-06-13 17:01 Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 1996-06-13 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

I know that a long time ago turning on and off adaptive scoring was
difficult for mail groups.  It has since been turned off by default
for nnml groups.  I've been meaning to ask this for a very long time,
but have been very lazy.  Anyway, how do I turn it back on for my nnml
groups?  gnus-use-adaptive-scoring is 't in the summary buffer I'm in,
so that can't be the problem (ie, it isn't locally getting set to
'nil).

Tanx,

--
                                                                _____
Wes Hardaker                                                   / ___ \

* Re: adaptive scoring in mail (nnml) groups.
@ 1996-06-13 19:08 ` Jack Vinson
From: Jack Vinson @ 1996-06-13 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

WH> [forgot how to turn adaption back on in nnml]

You probably created an nnml:all.SCORE file (or the directory equivalent)
and turned off adaptive scoring with

((adapt ignore)
)

Remove that, and you will be all set.

--
Jack Vinson                                                  Sunderland, MA
jvinson@cheux.ecs.umass.edu    <http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~vinson/home.html>

* Re: adaptive scoring in mail (nnml) groups.
@ 1996-06-13 19:26   ` Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 1996-06-13 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Jack Vinson <jvinson@cheux.ecs.umass.edu> writes:

|> WH> [forgot how to turn adaption back on in nnml]
|>
|> You probably created an nnml:all.SCORE file (or the directory equivalent)
|> and turned off adaptive scoring with
|>
|> ((adapt ignore)
|> )
|>
|> Remove that, and you will be all set.

Nope...  The only "all" file I have has no adapt stuff set in it.  It
might have something to do with the following variables I have set:

(setq nnml-directory "~/News/nnml/")
(setq gnus-kill-files-directory "~/News/scoring/")

The first, specifies the location to my nnml files/dirs.
The second, puts the *.ADAPT and *.SCORE in a different directory
(greatly cleaning up my News directory).

It could be that nnml adaptive scoring is looking in the wrong place
for the scoring files?

Wes

* Re: adaptive scoring in mail (nnml) groups.
@ 1996-06-13 20:23 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-06-13 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wes Hardaker <hardaker@ece.ucdavis.edu> writes:

> I know that a long time ago turning on and off adaptive scoring was
> difficult for mail groups.  It has since been turned off by default
> for nnml groups.  I've been meaning to ask this for a very long time,
> but have been very lazy.  Anyway, how do I turn it back on for my nnml
> groups?  gnus-use-adaptive-scoring is 't in the summary buffer I'm in,
> so that can't be the problem (ie, it isn't locally getting set to
> 'nil).

`gnus-newsgroup-adaptive' is the buffer-local variable that says
whether the group uses adaptive scoring or not.

I don't think there's any default un-adaptive-ness about mail groups.
Perhaps you have an `(adapt ignore)' in some mail-specific score file?

* Re: adaptive scoring in mail (nnml) groups.
@ 1996-06-13 22:32   ` Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 1996-06-13 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> writes:

> `gnus-newsgroup-adaptive' is the buffer-local variable that says
> whether the group uses adaptive scoring or not.
>
> I don't think there's any default un-adaptive-ness about mail groups.
> Perhaps you have an `(adapt ignore)' in some mail-specific score file?

3:29pm lena [189]: cd ~/News/scoring/
3:29pm lena [190]: grep adapt *.ADAPT *.SCROE | grep ignore
3:29pm lena [190]:

Nope.

gnus-newsgroup-adaptive is 't in my ding buffer, but nothing is
scored.  However, I just noticed that
gnus-newsgroup-adaptive-score-file is 'nil.  Is this the problem?  My
bet is yes.  Where is this getting set?  I still think its due to the
way I have my News directory sub-directory configured (The three
directories I use in question are:

 ~/News/scoring for *.ADAPT and *.SCORE
     (setq gnus-kill-files-directory "~/News/scoring/")
 ~/News/spool   for nnml spool files
     (setq nnmail-procmail-directory "~/News/spool")
 ~/News/nnml    for all other nnml files

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-06-14  0:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wes Hardaker <hardaker@ece.ucdavis.edu> writes:

> It could be that nnml adaptive scoring is looking in the wrong place
> for the scoring files?

There is no "nnml scoring".  It's all done by Gnus.

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Ingebrigtsen

* Re: adaptive scoring in mail (nnml) groups.
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-06-14  0:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wes Hardaker <hardaker@ece.ucdavis.edu> writes:

> 3:29pm lena [189]: cd ~/News/scoring/
> 3:29pm lena [190]: grep adapt *.ADAPT *.SCROE | grep ignore
> 3:29pm lena [190]:

How about "grep adapt *.ADAPT *.SCORE" instead?  :-)

> gnus-newsgroup-adaptive is 't in my ding buffer, but nothing is
> scored.  However, I just noticed that
> gnus-newsgroup-adaptive-score-file is 'nil.  Is this the problem?

Nope, that's not a problem.

Try `M-x edebug-defun' on `gnus-score-adaptive' in "gnus-score.el" and
see what's going on.

@ 1996-06-14 15:23       ` Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 1996-06-14 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> writes:

> > It could be that nnml adaptive scoring is looking in the wrong place
> > for the scoring files?
>
> There is no "nnml scoring".  It's all done by Gnus.

What I meant was is something like a 'chdir' happening with respect to
the nnml groups (since I have nnml set up to use ~/News/nnml) so its
not looking in ~/News/scoring or something.  I'll try to trace it down
today regardless, as I have plenty of time, seeing as I'm moving out
of the country in two weeks and quiting my job a week from today... hehe.

--
                                                                _____

@ 1996-06-14 15:25       ` Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 1996-06-14 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> writes:

> How about "grep adapt *.ADAPT *.SCORE" instead?  :-)

Actually, there are no nnml*.ADAPT files at all I just noticed!!!

> Try `M-x edebug-defun' on `gnus-score-adaptive' in "gnus-score.el" and
> see what's going on.

Will do.

Wes