From: Wes Hardaker <wjhardaker@ucdavis.edu>
Cc: Wes Hardaker <wjhardaker@ucdavis.edu>,
	Pavel.Janik@inet.cz, ding@gnus.org,
	Michael Baer <baerm@mikesoffice.com>
Subject: Re: Gnus as SNMP/LDAP browser?
Date: 19 Apr 2000 09:17:46 -0700	[thread overview]

>>>>> On 18 Apr 2000 10:25:07 +0000, Slawek Zak <zaks@prioris.mini.pw.edu.pl> said:

>> Oh.  My.  Wouldn't that be silly.

Slawek> Naah, scoring LDAP and/or SNMP/MIB entries would be kinda cool ;)

Maybe we need a "nnshell" backend?  That way it would create an
article or group for a shell command so that you could set your shell
command to "snmpwalk localhost system" and get what you want, or
"ldapsearch ..."

Actually, this shouldn't be that hard with nneething.  Actually, I
just did it:

;;
;; nnsnmp.  Gnus.  You must be kidding.
;;
(defvar gnus-get-snmp-dir "/home/hardaker/.snmp/gnus")

(defun gnus-get-snmp-results ()
  "don't run this.  It's insane."
  (interactive)
  (save-excursion
    (find-file (concat gnus-get-snmp-dir "/localhost"))
    (erase-buffer)
    (insert (shell-command-to-string "snmpwalk localhost system"))
    (save-buffer)))

Then, you could add gnus-get-snmp-results to gnus-get-new-news-hook
and create a nneething group set to gnus-get-snmp-dir and away ya go.

I'll leave it as an lesson for the reader to extend the above example
to take a list of hosts or to insert more appropriate headers at the
top of the file to help with respect to a subject name, etc.

Heh.

--
"Ninjas aren't dangerous.  They're more afraid of you than you are of them."