* Gnus as SNMP/LDAP browser?
@ 2000-04-14  8:28 Pavel Janik ml.
From: Pavel Janik ml. @ 2000-04-14  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

is there anyone working on snmp or ldap backend?
--
Pavel Janík ml.
Pavel.Janik@inet.cz

* Re: Gnus as SNMP/LDAP browser?
@ 2000-04-15  0:39 ` John Saylor
From: John Saylor @ 2000-04-15  0:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Hi

 PJm> Hi, is there anyone working on snmp or ldap backend?

EUDC is an LDAP back end that integrates with gnus. What don't you
like about it?

--
\js

If I pull this SWITCH I'll be RITA HAYWORTH!!  Or a SCIENTOLOGIST!

* Re: Gnus as SNMP/LDAP browser?
@ 2000-04-17 17:17 ` Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 2000-04-17 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Pavel> is there anyone working on snmp or ldap backend?
                                  ^^^^
Oh.  My.  Wouldn't that be silly.

--
"Ninjas aren't dangerous.  They're more afraid of you than you are of them."

* Re: Gnus as SNMP/LDAP browser?
@ 2000-04-18 10:25   ` Slawek Zak
From: Slawek Zak @ 2000-04-18 10:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Pavel.Janik, ding

Wes Hardaker <wjhardaker@ucdavis.edu> writes:

> Pavel> is there anyone working on snmp or ldap backend?
>                                   ^^^^
> Oh.  My.  Wouldn't that be silly.

Naah, scoring LDAP and/or SNMP/MIB entries would be kinda cool ;)

* Re: Gnus as SNMP/LDAP browser?
@ 2000-04-18 12:54     ` William M. Perry
From: William M. Perry @ 2000-04-18 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Wes Hardaker, Pavel.Janik, ding

Slawek Zak <zaks@prioris.mini.pw.edu.pl> writes:

> > Pavel> is there anyone working on snmp or ldap backend?
> >                                   ^^^^
> > Oh.  My.  Wouldn't that be silly.
>
> Naah, scoring LDAP and/or SNMP/MIB entries would be kinda cool ;)

Hehehehe... could you score
(|(objectClass=person)(objectClass=inetOrgPerson)) in this theoretical
backend?  And can you hook it up to an HR system so that if the score gets
too low, the person is... removed? :)

-bp

* Re: Gnus as SNMP/LDAP browser?
@ 2000-04-18 13:19       ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-04-18 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Slawek Zak, Wes Hardaker, Pavel.Janik, ding

wmperry@aventail.com (William M. Perry) writes:

> Hehehehe... could you score
> (|(objectClass=person)(objectClass=inetOrgPerson)) in this theoretical
> backend?  And can you hook it up to an HR system so that if the score gets
> too low, the person is... removed? :)

Well, err, we used to have kill files, but now we just score on them.
Is Gnus getting too human-friendly, then?

kai
--
Beware of flying birch trees.

* Re: Gnus as SNMP/LDAP browser?
@ 2000-04-19 16:17     ` Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 2000-04-19 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Wes Hardaker, Pavel.Janik, ding, Michael Baer

>> Oh.  My.  Wouldn't that be silly.

Slawek> Naah, scoring LDAP and/or SNMP/MIB entries would be kinda cool ;)

Maybe we need a "nnshell" backend?  That way it would create an
article or group for a shell command so that you could set your shell
command to "snmpwalk localhost system" and get what you want, or
"ldapsearch ..."

Actually, this shouldn't be that hard with nneething.  Actually, I
just did it:

;;
;; nnsnmp.  Gnus.  You must be kidding.
;;
(defvar gnus-get-snmp-dir "/home/hardaker/.snmp/gnus")

(defun gnus-get-snmp-results ()
  "don't run this.  It's insane."
  (interactive)
  (save-excursion
    (find-file (concat gnus-get-snmp-dir "/localhost"))
    (erase-buffer)
    (insert (shell-command-to-string "snmpwalk localhost system"))
    (save-buffer)))

Then, you could add gnus-get-snmp-results to gnus-get-new-news-hook
and create a nneething group set to gnus-get-snmp-dir and away ya go.

I'll leave it as an lesson for the reader to extend the above example
to take a list of hosts or to insert more appropriate headers at the
top of the file to help with respect to a subject name, etc.

Heh.

--
"Ninjas aren't dangerous.  They're more afraid of you than you are of them."