Wes Hardaker writes: > So... I'm slowly moving more and more toward the need for better > integration with other email readers. In particular mobile devices. > > I consider "gnus" to be the master and everything else as "temporary" > because emacs is too far away. I use expiry very very heavily, both > total and manual depending on the group. > > What I want (need) is the ability to be able to mark articles as deleted > in other places and gnus do the same and then have gnus do its expiary > process on the deleted articles rather than use a separate expiary > mark. Is there a way to change what gnus uses for the expiary mark? > Did I miss it somehow? > > I realize there is a danger of something else expunging a box, but I > want to handle that configuration elsewhere. Right now, I have to: > > 1) delete elsewhere and then mark as expired later in gnus > 2) get flooded with expired mail in other interfaces that really > shouldn't be shown because they're functionally already marked as > deleted by gnus. I use IMAP. Then, I have 'd' bound to (defun gdt-gnus-move-to-trash () (interactive) (gnus-summary-move-article nil gdt-trash-newsgroup)) and actually delete messages. the trash group has total-expire. I use auto-expire on mailing list groups, but I don't read those with other clients. This is based around making it usable to use the iphone imap client with the same server as gnus. If I wanted to deal with other groups, I'd think about making gnus expire based on read marks instead of expirable.