From: gdt@work.lexort.com
Cc: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: deleting last article in nnmh?
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2006 19:30:00 -0400	[thread overview]

David Z Maze <dmaze@MIT.EDU> writes:

> This is a "feature" of nnmh.  In Gnus's newsreaderly view of the
> world, article numbers need to be monotonically increasing, but in
> nnmh the only state is the article numbers themselves.  I can't find a
> mention of it in the manual, though.  nnmh.el defines a function
> nnmh-deletable-article-p which is called from a couple of places with
> a comment "We can never delete the last article in the group"; you
> could conceivably set
>
> ;; Don't even think about setting this variable.  It does not exist.
> ;; Forget about it.  Uh-huh.  Nope.  Nobody here.  It's only bound
> ;; dynamically by certain functions in nndraft.
> (defvar nnmh-allow-delete-final nil)
>
> to t.
>
> Unless you're actively using another MH-based mail client (MH-E,
> scan/show/...) you might consider using nnml as a mail backend instead
> of nnmh.  It has the same one-file-per-message format ("you can still
> grep your mail") with an added .overview file that contains the
> subjects and senders of each message, which makes scanning a folder a
> lot faster.

I'll try setting that variable, since all I'm trying to do is use gnus
to move my old mail from existing nnmh mailboxes into IMAP, preserving
the ticked flag.

(I did used to use MH-E, and I used procmail to deliver into nnmh - I
don't use gnus for splitting, wanting my mail presplit, especially now
that I use IMAP and other clients (including a Palm TX) to look at
INBOX.

Thanks very much for the hint.

--
	Greg Troxel <gdt@work.lexort.com>