From: gdt@work.lexort.com
Cc: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: 'g' not checking nnimap groups
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2006 10:54:52 -0400	[thread overview]

> Actually, the bug is how (nnimap "foo") ever got into your setup.

I agree that's a bug.  I think I did U and then subscribed to a group,
before I realized the preferred way was to use server mode and browse.

> The server (nnimap "foo") isn't the same as (nnimap "foo" (nnimap-port
> ...) ...), and Gnus will treat them as different servers.
> Consequently, (nnimap "foo") is treated as an ephemeral server, and
> checked using the slow mechanism (I forgot the reason as to why, but
> it is probably because it is simpler to optimize the primary/secondary
> case).

But, gnus used the same imap server connection.  The "foo" in the
wrong group spec isn't the same as the IMAP server, so it must have
used the nnimap select method in gnus-secondary-select-methods to find
it.

On my list of things to look into if I find spare time:

  add path from UNSEEN count from STATUS to count of new articles in
  summmary

  investigate nnimap/agent cache coherency, ensuring articles
  deleted/moved by other clients are removed from the agent.

--
	Greg Troxel <gdt@work.lexort.com>