"Sven Bretfeld" writes: > Since I use my imap account not only with Gnus but also with K9 > (Android) I have some problems with the expired-mark. As far as I can > see, non-Gnus clients cannot set an Email as expired, can they? > > Therefore, I have several messages in my inboxes marked with "O" (old), > which excludes them from the expiry-process. Back in Gnus I have to > manually set them to expired with by hitting "E" one after the other. Not what you asked, but I do this totally differently. I use gnus as my main mail reader, and also thunderbird, osx/Mail.app, and iphone/Mail. While my mailinglist mail is like news, I consider my INBOX to be not like news, and basically only want to explicitly delete things. So, I have all the non-gnus MUAs set up to delete by moving to nnimap+[foo]:Trash (vs "Deleted Messages" with whitespace), and then Then I bind 'd' to (defun gdt-gnus-move-to-trash () (interactive) (gnus-summary-move-article nil gdt-trash-newsgroup)) and delete messages when I'm done with them. This works for me because I filter (before delivery, not with gnus) messages that aren't more or less to me personally to one of about 100 other IMAP folders. Most of those I both set auto-expire=t and read only with gnus - basically they contain (by construction) data that does not require timely processing. This whole scheme is built around the notion that I want reading the INBOX on my phone to be useful, which for me means that all mailinglist mail (and anything that gets even 1 point with spamassassin) does not go to INBOX. I suppose you could write something that finds messages marked read but not expirable in groups that are marked auto-expire.