Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen writes: > "Jason L Tibbitts III" writes: > >> It's RFC2177, http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2177.html > > So you send IDLE after selecting a mailbox, and you're given updates > about new messages (and stuff) happening in that mailbox? The Gnus > response would be to mark articles as cancelled, and insert new summary > lines. > > I don't think this sounds particularly useful. I almost never sit > inside a single group -- I'm always in the group buffer. I don't > think it would be very difficult to implement, actually (FSVO > "difficult"), but I think it sounds more neat than essential. I see your point, but my usage is that I have INBOX, where mail that (in theory) I want to see quickly (also on phone) arrives, and many other mailboxes for things that I want to look at with much higher latency. Right now I have a mail-notification widget in the status tray that tells me if INBOX has unread messages. But it would be nice if the unread count in INBOX automatically reflected what was happening in IMAP, so that I could see the 1 from the arrived message and just hit space to enter INBOX without typing g. I would only want gnus to IDLE on a tiny number of mailboxes, probably just 1. But I don't want this badly enought to write it - just trying to explain why it would make sense.