jens.lechtenboerger@fsfe.org writes: > Hi Greg! > >> I'm a longtime epg user with gnupg (coming from mailcrypt and then >> pgg), and generally it works well. I am now trying to get set up with >> S/MIME to interact with some people who do encrypted mail that way, >> and finding it harder than it seems I should. > > If I understand correctly, they already use S/MIME, right? So, probably > this choice is not yours to make, but I recommend OpenPGP over S/MIME, > as explained in a blog entry: > https://blogs.fsfe.org/jens.lechtenboerger/2013/12/23/openpgp-and-smime/ You will notice that my messages to this list are signed with OpenPGP. Indeed my question is about how to interoperate with people that already use S/MIME. Your blog post conflates the common PKI model and the S/MIME standard itself - which I realize is how normal people come to this. Some organizations use S/MIME but only configure their own CAs as trust anchors. This is quite sane. But I agree that that vast CA list is goofy and inflicted on most people. >> 1) What is the thinking on the default for smime between epg/gpgsm and >> openssl? > > My recommendation is to stay away from openssl. Use gpgsm. So perhaps the defaults should be flipped in gnus, so that epg/gpgsm is used, throwing an error if not found (or silently not decoding merely signed?), unless someone has explicitly asked for the openssl version? >> 3) When verifying openpgp/mime, I am notified of decryption status as >> well as signatures, so that I know the message was encrypted. I don't >> see any hint of this with epg/gpgsm. Any advice, other than figure it >> out and send a patch? > > For signed plaintext messages I see the verification status. For signed > and encrypted ones not. My advice is to go for OpenPGP :-) You vastly overestimate my status as world dictator :-)