From: Richard Riley <rileyrg@gmail.com>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: gnus smtp and gmail app specific permissions
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 12:24:12 +0000	[thread overview]

Leonidas Tsampros <ltsampros@upnet.gr> writes:

>>> Or possibly just a simple example of elisp programming to set up
>>> smtpmail to use a third party smtp server line by line with auth details
>>> from .authinfo?  I'm  confused with the cross over (if any)
>>> between smtp credential variables and the use of authinfo.
>>
>> I'm currently unable to use gnus to send emails since my move to
>> appliction specific passwords. Any pointers would be greatly
>> appreciated.
>
> Hey, try this:
>
> (setq smtp-accounts
>    '((plain    "ltsampros@gmail.com" "smtp.gmail.com" 587 nil nil)))
>
> I really don't know/remember why it works and why it gets the password
> from my .authinfo.gpg (smtpmail magic?) but I'm pretty sure this setup
> works here.
>
> I searched for any special code around but didn't notice anything wrt
> to authsource.
>
> Remove the dashes and spaces from the application specific
> password you get from the Gmail interface and make sure your username is
> "username@gmail.com" in your .authinfo(.gpg) file. Example:
>
> machine smtp.gmail.com login username@gmail.com port 587 password panagiavoitha
>
> Memory banks are failing me right now but the setup I'm posting works
> for me even when using multiple relay addresses through ONE gmail
> account.
>
> I hope the above helped a bit.
>
> Regards,
> Leonidas Tsampros

Thanks but its still not working for me. gnus rteally needs built in
multi smtp support as it is I'm not willing to forgo 2 step verification
and app specific passwords and will have to stop using gus for email ;(
Ive been hacking around the multi smtp solution from the wiki but simply
cant get it working with the app specific requirements.