* Reading mail from the spool.
@ 1997-01-22 16:44 Eze Ogwuma
From: Eze Ogwuma @ 1997-01-22 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: zcaceog

Hi,

I would like to use gnus to read my mail from the mail spool (like
Elm). So far the only way I've found to do this is by making my mail
spool file into an nndoc group.

Can someone please can tell me if this is the only way, or the best
way to read mail from the spool?

If I use this method can I be sure that Gnus will absolutely not alter
my spool file?

Thanks.

Eze Ogwuma.

* Re: Reading mail from the spool.
@ 1997-01-23  2:54 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-01-23  2:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eze Ogwuma <zcaceog@ucl.ac.uk> writes:

> If I use this method can I be sure that Gnus will absolutely not alter
> my spool file?

No, all Gnus backends mail fetch (and remove) whatever is in the mail
spool.

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Ingebrigtsen

* Re: Reading mail from the spool.
@ 1997-01-23  8:58   ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1997-01-23  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

  Eze> If I use this method can I be sure that Gnus will absolutely
  Eze> not alter my spool file?

  Lars> No, all Gnus backends mail fetch (and remove) whatever is in
  Lars> the mail spool.

I thought nndoc was strictly read-only?

kai
--
I like both kinds of music.

* Re: Reading mail from the spool.
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-01-23 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Grossjohann <grossjohann@ls6.informatik.uni-dortmund.de> writes:

>   Lars> No, all Gnus backends mail fetch (and remove) whatever is in
>   Lars> the mail spool.
>
> I thought nndoc was strictly read-only?

I meant to say "mail backends" and not "backends mail".  :-)

@ 1997-01-23 14:21     ` Eze Ogwuma
From: Eze Ogwuma @ 1997-01-23 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen, Eze Ogwuma, ding

>   Eze> If I use this method can I be sure that Gnus will absolutely
>   Eze> not alter my spool file?

>   Lars> No, all Gnus backends mail fetch (and remove) whatever is in
>   Lars> the mail spool.
>
> I thought nndoc was strictly read-only?

I thought this was the case as well.

That is certainly the impression I get from the manual:

Gnus->Select Methods->Other Sources->Document Groups

If nndoc is not read-only, is there another way to read mail from the
spool without altering the spool file?

Eze Ogwuma.