* mail with From set by gnus-posting-styles crashes xemacs
@ 1999-11-15 10:17 Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 1999-11-15 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

pgnus 0.99 (friday nov. 12 CVS checkout), XEmacs 20.4, SuSE linux 5.3

When I do the following
 - go to the private mail group and use "m" to create a new
   message with my private identity
 - open a newsgroup (with a different identity)
 - cut and paste some stuff from articles in this newsgroup into the
   message in the *mail* buffer
 - Do C-c C-c
 - xemacs promptly crashes, but not before the message is sent

Do anyone else see this behaviour?  I first observed this behaviour
after doing the CVS update, but before re-byte-compiling the .el
files, so I'm not sure if this was present in the previous version
(0.97.1 from CVS).

* Re: mail with From set by gnus-posting-styles crashes xemacs
@ 1999-11-15 12:11 ` Gunnar Evermann
From: Gunnar Evermann @ 1999-11-15 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steinar Bang <sb@metis.no> writes:

> pgnus 0.99 (friday nov. 12 CVS checkout), XEmacs 20.4, SuSE linux 5.3
>
> When I do the following
>  - go to the private mail group and use "m" to create a new
>    message with my private identity
>  - open a newsgroup (with a different identity)
>  - cut and paste some stuff from articles in this newsgroup into the
>    message in the *mail* buffer
>  - Do C-c C-c
>  - xemacs promptly crashes, but not before the message is sent

can you send a Lisp and (more importantly) a C backtrace?

I would also suggest upgrading to XEmacs 21.1.8 which should be even
more stable than 20.4 :-)

 Gunnar

* Re: mail with From set by gnus-posting-styles crashes xemacs
@ 1999-11-16 11:24   ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 1999-11-16 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Steinar Bang <sb@metis.no> writes:
>> pgnus 0.99 (friday nov. 12 CVS checkout), XEmacs 20.4, SuSE linux 5.3

>> When I do the following
>> - go to the private mail group and use "m" to create a new
>>   message with my private identity
>> - open a newsgroup (with a different identity)
>> - cut and paste some stuff from articles in this newsgroup into the
>>   message in the *mail* buffer
>> - Do C-c C-c
>> - xemacs promptly crashes, but not before the message is sent

> can you send a Lisp

Not unless there is some way of getting a backtrace from a crashed or
crashing xemacs.  Is there...?

> and (more importantly) a C backtrace?

Nope.  SuSE 5.3 has turned off core dumps, and I've never gotten
around to finding out how to turn this back on again.

Will I get a usable stack trace in gdb if the program isn't compiled
with debug information?

> I would also suggest upgrading to XEmacs 21.1.8 which should be even
> more stable than 20.4 :-)

Hm... I doubt I will find RPMs for a newer XEmacs for SuSE 5.3, so
this probably won't happen until I upgrade to a newer linux (and get
glibc2 and the 2.2 kernel at the same time).

* Re: mail with From set by gnus-posting-styles crashes xemacs
@ 1999-11-18  1:04     ` Brian May
From: Brian May @ 1999-11-18  1:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Steinar> Not unless there is some way of getting a backtrace from
    Steinar> a crashed or crashing xemacs.  Is there...?

Perhaps one of these variables might be useful:

 * debug-ignored-errors           - List of errors for which the debugger should not be called.
 * debug-on-error                 - Non-nil means enter debugger if an unhandled error is signalled.
   debug-on-next-call             - Non-nil means enter debugger before next `eval', `apply' or `funcall'.
 * debug-on-quit                  - Non-nil means enter debugger if quit is signalled (C-G, for example).
 * debug-on-signal                - Non-nil means enter debugger if an error is signalled.

Not that I really understand Lisp, but when I had problems I think I was
referred to debug-on-quit (IIRC). It could be that I am totally confused.
--
Brian May <bmay@csse.monash.edu.au>