From: Brian May <bmay@csse.monash.edu.au>
Subject: Bugs in PGnus
Date: 22 Nov 1999 11:51:12 +1100	[thread overview]

Note: Previously I got this mailing list as a newsgroup from
quimby.gnus.org, however, I cannot connect to this server right
now... So Please CC any responses back to me.

Is there a archive of this mailing list? Oh, yes, found it.

Minor, bugs I have found in PGnus 0.98, in order of inconvenience (most
inconvenient 2 are at the top). Some I already have mentioned. I suspect
problem 3 might be easy to fix.

Problem 4 and 5 might not be PGnus, but possibly w3. Not sure though.

Problems 1 to 6:

1. Pushing A R doesn't retrieve article numbers on my computer at
Uni. However it works fine at Home, with the same configuration,
except for a different news server (one that I administrate) and a
different .newsrc.eld file. (Lars implied that this shouldn't work at
all - weird - or perhaps I misunderstood him?). Perhaps the news server
here is giving bad index files or something - I don't particularly
trust it.  It would be good if I could be more specific though, when
complaining to the administrator...

2. As I already mentioned, threading often has problems, as messages
are put with the wrong thread. This seems to be because "Y c"
inserts cached articles at the *current* cursor position, and not in
thread order. Pushing "T t" on the broken thread fixes it.

(I suspect this is only part of the threading problem, but I can
reproduce this bug... From memory I get similar problems without
pushing "Y c" but haven't yet reproduced it "on demand").

3. Pressing "W T o", "W T l", "W T s", change the time zone of the
displayed date as expected. Pressing "W T e" also works.  However,
once I push "W T e" to display the elapsed time, none of the "W T"
time zone commands work anymore until I redisplay the message.

3. I get lots of ~/Mail/Incoming* files, which never seem to be
deleted.  Perhaps this is to keep a backup in case things go wrong,
however I already do that via my .forward file.

4. I sent myself a HTML file (please ask if you want a copy) that
displays OK in X-Windows, but in a text-mode console, the top
of the file is missing, while weblint comes up with numerous
errors, I find it strange that the same program skips text
depending on which way it is started. Same goes for citations
in replies.

5. Somebody sent me this badly formed HTML file, it starts off as:

<HTML>
<HEAD>

<META content=text/html;charset=iso-8859-1 http-equiv=Content-Type>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>

According to weblint, the "content=" should be quoted. However,
I didn't write this HTML, so it is outside my control. PGnus
gets *very* confused and displays:

html;charset=iso-8859-1 http-equiv=Content-Type>

Is it possible to get PGnus to display this OK? Or is this outside
the scope of PGnus?

Another problem with this message is that in text mode xemacs,
the actual content is invisible (black on black) - probably because the HTML
sets the background color, but not the foreground color - Stupid!
No wonder - it is "MSHTML" ;-).

(however, I would have expected white on white, not black on black...)

Marking a region highlights the text. Citing the message in a reply
works fine, too.

Perhaps these aren't really a bugs in PGnus, but are annoying
all the same.

6. I wanted to try and get mail groups to behave in the same way as
newgroups, as far as expiry is concerned - ie all messages can be
expired unless they are cached (probably not supported). So I marked a
message as cached and expired, and forced it to expire.

I confirmed that a copy of the message appeared in:
~/News/cache/nnml+private:mail.usenet/1

and that the original was ~/Mail/mail/usenet/1, and pushed B M-C-e to
force the article to expire. ~/Mail/mail/usenet/1 is gone (as
expected) but the cached copy still exists.

However, while PGnus will display an entry for the cached article, it
refuses to display the contents of this article:

Symbol's value as variable is void: gnus-article-decode-hook

I think caching should either be fully disabled for mailing lists or
fully enabled, but not half implemented in such a way that cached
items cannot be accessed.

Whats worse, is now something in PGnus is currupted, and it
wont display any articles without this error. Restarting PGnus
doesn't seem to help. I have to exit xemacs and restart, and then
everything is OK.
--
Brian May <bmay@csse.monash.edu.au>