From: Brian May <bmay@csse.monash.edu.au>
Subject: Re: new feature request
Date: 20 Dec 1999 13:02:13 +1100	[thread overview]

    Laura> Yes I know that if you're careful about what you name the
    Laura> .newsrc* files you can probably change your nntp newsserver
    Laura> and still keep all the marks on your nnml groups, but I
    Laura> can't say I've ever managed to do it.  Even if I did manage
    Laura> it with the help of all the high-powered gnus experts on
    Laura> this list, that still wouldn't prove that the
    Laura> gnus-user-on-the-street could do it.

There is, I think, an automatic way of translating the .newsrc* files
to a new server. It is documented in the Info documentation.  I have
never used myself.

I don't think there is any automatic way of keeping cached
articles.... IIRC, the info documentation says that these must be
deleted in order to prevent confusion.

The only way to keep track of a message independently of the server,
is to use its message id, rather then its message number. Perhaps a
new backend could be designed, that saves messages by id, rather then
number. However, I doubt it would be this easy, as I suspect most of
Gnus refers to messages by number. Or perhaps it might be possible to
have some virtual numbering scheme independent of the server. I don't
know. These are just some issues you might want to think about.

--
Brian May <bmay@csse.monash.edu.au>