From: Brian May <bmay@csse.monash.edu.au>
Subject: Re: Bugs in PGnus
Date: 23 Nov 1999 10:43:29 +1100	[thread overview]

    Kai> Brian May <bmay@csse.monash.edu.au> writes:
    >> 1. Pushing A R doesn't retrieve article numbers on my computer
    >> at Uni. However it works fine at Home, with the same
    >> configuration, except for a different news server (one that I
    >> administrate) and a different .newsrc.eld file. (Lars implied
    >> that this shouldn't work at all - weird - or perhaps I
    >> misunderstood him?). Perhaps the news server here is giving bad
    >> index files or something - I don't particularly trust it.  It
    >> would be good if I could be more specific though, when
    >> complaining to the administrator...

    Kai> Have you tried setting nntp-record-commands to t, then
    Kai> compare traces of the communication between Gnus and the NNTP
    Kai> server at uni and at home?

No. Thanks for the suggestion. Will try that and see if anything
obvious shows up...

    >> 2. As I already mentioned, threading often has problems, as
    >> messages are put with the wrong thread. This seems to be
    >> because "Y c" inserts cached articles at the *current* cursor
    >> position, and not in thread order. Pushing "T t" on the broken
    >> thread fixes it.
    >>
    >> (I suspect this is only part of the threading problem, but I
    >> can reproduce this bug... From memory I get similar problems
    >> without pushing "Y c" but haven't yet reproduced it "on
    >> demand").

    Kai> I also see this problem.  Hm.  But I use `/ *' rather than `Y
    Kai> c'.  Is the behavior different?  Why are there two commands?

I don't know, I think they are exactly the same thing though...

>From "C-h k Y c":
-------------------------
Y c runs `gnus-summary-insert-cached-articles'

`gnus-summary-insert-cached-articles' is an interactive compiled Lisp function
  -- loaded from "gnus-cache.elc"
(gnus-summary-insert-cached-articles)

Insert all the articles cached for this group into the current buffer.

>From "C-h k / *":
-------------------------
/ * runs `gnus-summary-limit-include-cached'

`gnus-summary-limit-include-cached' is an alias for `gnus-summary-insert-cached\
-articles', an interactive compiled Lisp function
  -- loaded from "gnus-cache.elc"
(gnus-summary-limit-include-cached)

Insert all the articles cached for this group into the current buffer.

I assume "is an alias for" means that it is exactly the same function,
only with a different name.

    >> 3. I get lots of ~/Mail/Incoming* files, which never seem to be
    >> deleted.  Perhaps this is to keep a backup in case things go
    >> wrong, however I already do that via my .forward file.

    Kai> See mail-source-delete-incoming.  This is indeed a safety net
    Kai> because this is an alpha version of Gnus.

Good idea. Only in my case, I already make backup copies via
my .forward file, so this safety net isn't required.
--
Brian May <bmay@csse.monash.edu.au>