* pop3 (again)
@ 1999-04-07  2:27 Chris Tessone
From: Chris Tessone @ 1999-04-07  2:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sorry to rehash an old (February) issue, but between the mailing list
archives and the documentation, I still can't get POP3 movemail
working under PGnus 0.80. I've never used POP3 in Gnus before, so this
is not an older-Gnus -> PGnus > 0.72 issue.

Here is the relevant stuff from my startup files:

in ~/.zshrc:
export MAILHOST="cappio.imsa.edu" # our POP3 server

in ~/.gnus:
(setq gnus-select-method '(nnml "")
      nnmail-pop-password "something"
      nnmail-pop-password-required t
      nnmail-spool-file '((pop :program "/home/fla/tessone/bin/movemail po:%u %t")))

I'm still not clear on how Gnus is supposed to find out %t and how
movemail is supposed to find out your password from that command line.

Chris

--
Chris Tessone              tessone@imsa.edu              tessone@fnal.gov
PH/Postmaster SNPC                                  Voice: (630) 907-5547

* Re: pop3 (again)
@ 1999-04-07 21:02 ` Jack Vinson
From: Jack Vinson @ 1999-04-07 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

CT> Sorry to rehash an old (February) issue, but between the mailing list
CT> archives and the documentation, I still can't get POP3 movemail
CT> working under PGnus 0.80. I've never used POP3 in Gnus before, so this
CT> is not an older-Gnus -> PGnus > 0.72 issue.

I was one of the people attempting to hash this out at the beginning of
the year.  I think the following will help:

      (setq nnmail-spool-file '((pop :server "chevax.ecs.umass.edu"
				     :user "jvinson"
				     :program "c:/bin/movemail.exe po:%u@%s %t %p")))

It looks like you almost have it right.  I think you are missing the "%p"
specifier for the password.  Gnus should automagically ask for the password
if you do not specify it.

According to the Gnus info \(gnus)Mail Source Specifiers\ file the format
specifiers are below.  Each of these is retrieved from the corresponding
entries in the list (or from the mail-source- variables, like
mail-source-crashbox).

     `:program'
          The program to use to fetch mail from the POP server.  This is
          should be a `format'-like string.  Here's an example:

               fetchmail %u@%s -P %p %t

          The valid format specifier characters are:

          `t'
               The name of the file the mail is to be moved to.  This
               must always be included in this string.

          `s'
               The name of the server.

          `P'
               The port number of the server.

          `u'
               The user name to use.

          `p'
               The password to use.

          The values used for these specs are taken from the values you
          give the corresponding keywords.

--
Jack Vinson <jvinson@chevax.ecs.umass.edu>    http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~vinson/
Zippy: YOU!!  Give me the CUTEST, PINKEST, most charming little