I follewed the discussion about the Date values and at the same time I noticed that the 'user option restricted to only formats known to `format-time-string' function. The following patch will extend the variable gnus-article-time-format to accept a function symbol as well, so that user can have complete control over generated Date: field. In my case I prefer seeing the both lapsed time (without seconds) and the ISO date in the same field, like this after hitting W t s Date: 1 hour, 45 minutes -- 1998-02-09 12:08 Mon EET The patch makes this possible. (I have signed and returned the Gnus disclaimer) Cheers! jari