* Gnus PGP Questions
@ 1998-04-02 11:22 Christoph Seibert
       [not found] ` <x7vhss81f6.fsf@peorth.gweep.net>
From: Christoph Seibert @ 1998-04-02 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi!

We (a friend of mine and myself) are trying to use PGP following RFC
2015 (PGP-Elkins, which integrates PGP with MIME, using the
<application/pgp-encrypted> - header) with Gnus. We're using Gnus
5.4.52, MailCrypt 3.4 and tm 7.82 (?) in XEmacs 20.2. My friend put
together some questions on this topic, which he asked me to mail here.

Here goes:

About _writing_ PGP-encrypted messages:

1) When I do mime-editor/set-encrypt and try to send the message, the
complete "To:" address is used to find the key in the public
keyring. When no matching key is found, it seems I can only try to
"fetch" it. I haven't found a way yet to enter an alternative key-ID
by hand (as in mc-encrypt). So when someone has a new mail address or
there's a slight change in the user ID, I can't send him a
PGP-encrypted message without him adding the new ID to his key and me
adding this key to my public keyring. This is very annoying. :-(

2) How can I send messages "Sign & Encrypt"? mime-editor/set-encrypt
and -/set-sign seem to exclude each other. When I call both, only the
function called last is executed (i.e., the message gets either
signed or encrypted, but not both). mc-pgp-always-sign is set to
t, so when I use mc-encrypt to send the message, the message gets both
signed and encrypted - only not following PGP-Elkins, but PGP-Kazu.

About _reading__ PGP-encrypted messages:

I can read PGP/MIME messages by using mouse-2 on the appropriate
MIME-header. However, the decrypted message is shown in a
"preview"-buffer, so when I try to "Reply & Yank", the original,
encrypted message is quoted. When I mc-decrypt the message, the
MIME-headers remain as plain text in the decrypted message.
Also, quoted-printable messages get "broken" this way, as there is no
appropriate mail header for q-p any more. umlauts (is there an english
word for that?) don't get displayed correctly, because the q-p header
now resides in the (sub-)MIME-headers of the
<application/pgp-encrypted> part and not in the mail header.

How can I (without calling "only" mc-decrypt)

1) reply to PGP-encrypted messages so that the decrypted message gets
quoted?

2) optionally (or always) replace the en- by the decrypted message on
disk as in mc-decrypt?

3) decrypt and display a PGP-encrypted message by pressing a key in
the Summary buffer or automagically by using an appropriate hook
without having to use the mouse? That is, how can I simulate mouse-2
on the appropriate MIME-header?
Do I have to write a function that changes to the Article buffer,
searches for the MIME-header in question by regexp, moves the cursor
to that header and calls the MIME-decode-function?

I hope this hasn't been too long and not too hard to understand.

Of course, I also hope that someone can help us.

Bye,
Christoph

--
--- Christoph Seibert (seibert@cs.uni-bonn.de seibert@dmcs.de) ---