Hi, I have an account where I'm real tight on disk space. My quota limit makes me be on my toes every time I open gnus and it saves the huge .newrc or .newsrc.el The following patch adds new variable gnus-startup-file-compress-extension Which is by default "" and lets gnus to work as usual. It can be set to ".gz" or ".Z" or anything the jka-comp understands. And voila! Now Gnus saves lot of space! There was also some problem according to Elint.el 1.10, that I tried to correct by using (car list). Would you check that it really was the right correction. Cheers! jari