* How to move saved articles to cache?
@ 1996-03-09 13:49 John Griffith
From: John Griffith @ 1996-03-09 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: griffith

I have a bunch of saved articles from news groups that are in nnml
groups.  But for a while now I've been using caching to do my saving.

Is there any good and safe way to merge these into the cache?

I tried moving a message with cp, but since the cache has its own
active file, separate from my nnml active file, the message doesn't
get recognized.

I don't want to try to move messages with `B m' from the summary
buffer, because this will screw up the numbering when new messages
arrive from nntp.

Any ideas?

* Re: How to move saved articles to cache?
@ 1996-03-09 22:56 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-03-09 22:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

John Griffith <griffith@sfs.nphil.uni-tuebingen.de> writes:

> I have a bunch of saved articles from news groups that are in nnml
> groups.  But for a while now I've been using caching to do my saving.
>
> Is there any good and safe way to merge these into the cache?

I don't think so.  The articles in the cache has to have the same
article numbers as the "real" group articles.  You could just cp the
articles into the cache and then re-generate the active file and ant
the overview files.  `M-x gnus-cache-generate-active'.

* Re: How to move saved articles to cache?
@ 1996-03-11 10:15   ` Albrecht Kadlec
From: Albrecht Kadlec @ 1996-03-11 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

L> John Griffith <griffith@sfs.nphil.uni-tuebingen.de> writes:
> I have a bunch of saved articles from news groups that are in nnml
> groups.  But for a while now I've been using caching to do my saving.
>
> Is there any good and safe way to merge these into the cache?

L> I don't think so.  The articles in the cache has to have the same
L> article numbers as the "real" group articles.  You could just cp the
L> articles into the cache and then re-generate the active file and ant
L> the overview files.  `M-x gnus-cache-generate-active'.

Any way to have gnus save a bunch of articles under "very low", unused
article numbers (to move old saved articles into the cache) ?

I was wondering what my cache will turn to, when I move (to another News
server) ? -  all screwed up ? (shiver)

I just imagine the new news server to use article numbers minus 1000.
Will all my cached articles be replaced, will I never see the 'conflicting'
new ones, if I simply copy my cache hierarchy?

Or will I be enchained to this bad-paid-for job forever? :-(

Lars, you mentioned some thoughts of converting article numbers to message
Id's, when moving.

Cached articles will usually be expired, when I move.
So even if the article has a message id in it, I can't ask the new server,
what the articles article-number should be from now on.

If the new server has lower article numbers than the previous, there's a
possible problem. (i.e: some articles not fitting).

possible solutions, that come to mind:

	Storing articles under message Id's in the cache.
	Or is this a bad idea NOW ? ;^)

	Just storing some "Extra Terrestrial" articles under their message
	ID's in the cache.

	Allocating new article numbers for the old cache articles, starting
	from 1 (dense - so there's probably enough space for all the
	articles, that I saved - hopefully NOT ALL articles.

albrecht

BTW: as of 0.51, entering virtual newsgroups is MUCH faster now.
Thanks, Lars

* Re: How to move saved articles to cache?
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-03-11 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

albrecht@vlsivie.tuwien.ac.at. (Albrecht Kadlec) writes:

> Any way to have gnus save a bunch of articles under "very low", unused
> article numbers (to move old saved articles into the cache) ?

Not automatically, no.

> I was wondering what my cache will turn to, when I move (to another News
> server) ? -  all screwed up ? (shiver)

Yes, sort of.  The article numbers in the cache should be the same as
the article numbers from the server.

> I just imagine the new news server to use article numbers minus
> 1000.  Will all my cached articles be replaced, will I never see the
> 'conflicting' new ones, if I simply copy my cache hierarchy?

You won't see conflicting new ones.  You could just renumber the files
to be lower than the articles on the new server, though.  Perhaps
there should be a function to do something like that --
`gnus-renumber-cache' or something.

* Re: How to move saved articles to cache?
@ 1996-03-18 13:14       ` Albrecht Kadlec
From: Albrecht Kadlec @ 1996-03-18 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

L> albrecht@vlsivie.tuwien.ac.at. (Albrecht Kadlec) writes:
> Any way to have gnus save a bunch of articles under "very low", unused
> article numbers (to move old saved articles into the cache) ?

L> Not automatically, no.

> I was wondering what my cache will turn to, when I move (to another News
> server) ? -  all screwed up ? (shiver)

L> Yes, sort of.  The article numbers in the cache should be the same as
L> the article numbers from the server.

> I just imagine the new news server to use article numbers minus
> 1000.  Will all my cached articles be replaced, will I never see the
> 'conflicting' new ones, if I simply copy my cache hierarchy?

L> You won't see conflicting new ones.  You could just renumber the files
L> to be lower than the articles on the new server, though.  Perhaps
L> there should be a function to do something like that --
L> gnus-renumber-cache' or something.

(gnus-reallocate-cache-numbers) ?
renumber according to message ID,
(fetch ID from saved article, ask server for its number)
if the server doesn't have this one, allocate it REAL LOW
i.e: maybe starting from 1

I don't know if it's efficient, but it'd be smoothest for the user.

anyway,
added to the RED to-do ?

just asking,
albrecht