* BBDB error: "Selecting deleted or non-existent buffer"
@ 1996-07-06  9:19 John Griffith
From: John Griffith @ 1996-07-06  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've been getting this error for a while. I don't get a bbdb window
when the sender of an article is in my db.  Plus if I do ":" I get the
following backtrace:

Signalling: (error "Selecting deleted or non-existent buffer")
  bbdb/gnus-update-record(t)
  bbdb/gnus-pop-up-bbdb-buffer(t)
  bbdb/gnus-update-record(t)
  #<compiled-function (from "bbdb-gnus.elc") nil "...(18)" [bbdb/gnus-update-record t record bbdb-display-records error "unperson"] 3 "Display the contents of the BBDB for the sender of this message.\nThis buffer will be in bbdb-mode, with associated keybindings." nil>()
  call-interactively(bbdb/gnus-show-sender)

I'm using Gnus 5.2.31, bbdb 1.51 and the latest gnus-bbdb.el.  Here's
what I have related to bbdb in my .gnus:

(require 'gnus-bbdb)
(gnus-bbdb-insinuate-summary-buffer)
(add-hook 'gnus-startup-hook 'bbdb-insinuate-gnus)
(setq bbdb/gnus-header-prefer-real-names     t)

Has anyone else seen this error?  Any ideas?

-- John

* Re: BBDB error: "Selecting deleted or non-existent buffer"
@ 1996-07-08 15:29 ` John Griffith
From: John Griffith @ 1996-07-08 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: info-bbdb

On the ding list, I asked if anyone else got the error:
   "Selecting deleted or non-existent buffer"
in the Gnus summary buffer when doing ":".

Sudeep Kumar Palat <palat@idt.unit.no> solved this problem for me.
(Thanks Sudeep!).

The problem is with multiple article buffers in Gnus.  In bbdb-gnus.el, the
line:

   (set-buffer "*Article*")

needs to be changed to:

   (set-buffer gnus-article-buffer)