From: Jody Klymak <jklymak@coas.oregonstate.edu>
Cc: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: Another IMAP speed issue
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 09:28:36 -0700	[thread overview]

Hello,

> David Abrahams <dave@boost-consulting.com> writes:
>
>> When I move or copy multiple messages between IMAP mailboxes, it seems
>> to take one or two seconds per message and barely use any network
>> bandwidth.  Most of the time I spend looking at a message that says
>> `Setting marks in <destination folder>'.  Is there some simple way to
>> speed this process up?
>
> Start by getting more information on what is taking time; see the elp
> discussion in the Troubleshooting section of the manual.
>
> (Moving and deleting messages in IMAP folders take many seconds for
> me, since the Agent seem to be expiring messages.  But copying is
> fast.)

I get this when gnus-summary-copy-article is used on 4 messages.
Takes ~20 seconds in real time.  However, I won't deny that it could
be my imap server.

I hope this doesn't autowrap:

Cheers,  Jody

Function Name                                                                  Call Count  Elapsed Time  Average Time
=============================================================================  ==========  ============  ============
gnus-summary-move-article                                                      1           19.329        19.329
gnus-summary-copy-article                                                      1           19.329        19.329
gnus-request-accept-article                                                    4           11.594        2.8985
gnus-completing-read-with-default                                              1           5.532         5.532
gnus-read-move-group-name                                                      1           5.532         5.532
gnus-request-set-mark                                                          4           2.1710000000  0.5427500000
gnus-topic-update-topic-line                                                   2           0.032         0.016
gnus-topic-update-topics-containing-group                                      1           0.016         0.016
gnus-topic-insert-topic-line                                                   2           0.016         0.008
gnus-prin1-to-string                                                           5           0.016         0.0032
gnus-group-get-new-news-this-group                                             1           0.016         0.016
gnus-group-update-group                                                        1           0.016         0.016
gnus-message                                                                   11          0.015         0.0013636363
gnus-group-topic-unread                                                        5           0.0           0.0
gnus-server-add-address                                                        3           0.0           0.0
gnus-mode-string-quote                                                         1           0.0           0.0
gnus-agent-get-function                                                        79          0.0           0.0
gnus-set-mode-line                                                             1           0.0           0.0
gnus-visual-p                                                                  4           0.0           0.0
gnus-region-active-p                                                           2           0.0           0.0
gnus-backlog-buffer                                                            4           0.0           0.0
gnus-get-split-value                                                           1           0.0           0.0
gnus-group-goto-group                                                          1           0.0           0.0
gnus-topic-find-groups                                                         2           0.0           0.0
gnus-replace-in-string                                                         1           0.0           0.0
gnus-request-article-this-buffer                                               4           0.0           0.0
gnus-group-topic-level                                                         2           0.0           0.0
gnus-find-method-for-group                                                     80          0.0           0.0
gnus-group-remove-mark                                                         1           0.0           0.0
gnus-short-group-name                                                          1           0.0           0.0
gnus-topic-parent-topic                                                        15          0.0           0.0
gnus-group-set-info                                                            4           0.0           0.0
gnus-summary-position-point                                                    19          0.0           0.0
gnus-group-set-parameter                                                       4           0.0           0.0
gnus-server-equal                                                              9           0.0           0.0
gnus-backlog-request-article                                                   4           0.0           0.0
gnus-parse-active                                                              1           0.0           0.0
gnus-group-insert-group-line                                                   1           0.0           0.0
gnus-summary-highlight-line-0                                                  4           0.0           0.0
gnus-server-opened                                                             2           0.0           0.0
gnus-group-group-name                                                          2           0.0           0.0
gnus-group-prefixed-name                                                       11          0.0           0.0
gnus-uncompress-range                                                          5           0.0           0.0
gnus-set-difference                                                            1           0.0           0.0
gnus-point-at-bol                                                              24          0.0           0.0
gnus-extent-start-open                                                         1           0.0           0.0
gnus-summary-highlight-line                                                    4           0.0           0.0
gnus-agent-method-p                                                            1           0.0           0.0
gnus-ephemeral-group-p                                                         1           0.0           0.0
gnus-get-function                                                              77          0.0           0.0
gnus-backlog-setup                                                             4           0.0           0.0
gnus-summary-update-secondary-mark                                             4           0.0           0.0
gnus-summary-update-mark                                                       4           0.0           0.0
gnus-summary-buffer-name                                                       1           0.0           0.0
gnus-group-search-forward                                                      1           0.0           0.0
gnus-topic-goto-topic                                                          3           0.0           0.0
gnus-group-highlight-line                                                      1           0.0           0.0
gnus-update-alist-soft                                                         6           0.0           0.0
gnus-kill-all-overlays                                                         4           0.0           0.0
gnus-group-remove-parameter                                                    4           0.0           0.0
gnus-valid-move-group-p                                                        73          0.0           0.0
gnus-virtual-group-p                                                           1           0.0           0.0
gnus-article-mark-to-type                                                      56          0.0           0.0
gnus-topic-find-topology                                                       9           0.0           0.0
gnus-check-server                                                              1           0.0           0.0
gnus-point-at-eol                                                              25          0.0           0.0
gnus-server-to-method                                                          5           0.0           0.0
gnus-group-method                                                              2           0.0           0.0
gnus-summary-remove-process-mark                                               4           0.0           0.0
gnus-group-name-charset                                                        3           0.0           0.0
gnus-summary-set-article-display-arrow                                         12          0.0           0.0
gnus-remassoc                                                                  23          0.0           0.0
gnus-add-to-range                                                              4           0.0           0.0
gnus-remove-from-range                                                         1           0.0           0.0
gnus-group-group-indentation                                                   2           0.0           0.0
gnus-activate-group                                                            1           0.0           0.0
gnus-group-get-parameter                                                       7           0.0           0.0
gnus-methods-using                                                             9           0.0           0.0
gnus-buffer-live-p                                                             8           0.0           0.0
gnus-summary-show-thread                                                       4           0.0           0.0
gnus-summary-find-next                                                         4           0.0           0.0
gnus-group-decoded-name                                                        2           0.0           0.0
gnus-remove-denial                                                             1           0.0           0.0
gnus-group-mark-group                                                          1           0.0           0.0
gnus-put-text-property-excluding-characters-with-faces                         1           0.0           0.0
gnus-agent-save-group-info                                                     1           0.0           0.0
gnus-get-unread-articles-in-group                                              1           0.0           0.0
gnus-compress-sequence                                                         14          0.0           0.0
gnus-group-set-mode-line                                                       6           0.0           0.0
gnus-group-insert-group-line-info                                              1           0.0           0.0
gnus-put-text-property                                                         3           0.0           0.0
gnus-summary-goto-subject                                                      12          0.0           0.0
gnus-topic-update-unreads                                                      2           0.0           0.0
gnus-dribble-enter                                                             5           0.0           0.0
gnus-range-length                                                              1           0.0           0.0
gnus-goto-colon                                                                20          0.0           0.0
gnus-close-group                                                               1           0.0           0.0
gnus-group-timestamp-delta                                                     1           0.0           0.0
gnus-add-text-properties                                                       5           0.0           0.0
gnus-list-of-unread-articles                                                   4           0.0           0.0
gnus-online                                                                    79          0.0           0.0
gnus-group-position-point                                                      1           0.0           0.0
gnus-info-set-entry                                                            6           0.0           0.0
gnus-cache-possibly-enter-article                                              4           0.0           0.0
gnus-group-remove-excess-properties                                            1           0.0           0.0
gnus-server-status                                                             2           0.0           0.0
gnus-group-name-to-method                                                      4           0.0           0.0
gnus-group-real-prefix                                                         3           0.0           0.0
gnus-group-name-decode                                                         4           0.0           0.0
gnus-set-global-variables                                                      6           0.0           0.0
gnus-group-parameter-value                                                     7           0.0           0.0
gnus-run-hooks                                                                 7           0.0           0.0
gnus-summary-work-articles                                                     1           0.0           0.0
gnus-topic-visible-p                                                           2           0.0           0.0
gnus-mode-line-buffer-identification                                           7           0.0           0.0
gnus-group-process-prefix                                                      1           0.0           0.0
gnus-check-backend-function                                                    1           0.0           0.0
gnus-add-marked-articles                                                       4           0.0           0.0
gnus-group-next-unread-group                                                   1           0.0           0.0

--
Jody Klymak                           104 Ocean Admin Bldg., OSU
mailto:jklymak@coas.oregonstate.edu   Corvallis OR, 97330